Does anyone know good exercises for the bum?

I want to get a flatter stomach and a bigger butt, so I am trying to mix cardio with exercises that target the abs and glutes. But since I have bad knees, I need to find ways to workout my behind that will not strain my knees (squats are horrible for knees).

Any suggestions?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 11:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• ahh that stinks, squats are amazing for the booty! I'm not sure if this will work, but you get down on all 4's, and then lift one leg up only and raise it up.....we did that in aeorobics, and it worked great, if not better! and its good for the tummy too! (make sure to suck in)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Speed skating. In fact, skating in general... but speed skating particularly.

Squats are not 'horrible' for knees --overextended squats on weak legs with inflexible quads are 'horrible' for knees, but too-tight quads and too-flexible hamstrings are almost the whole problem, which can be fixed in a few weeks by strengthening the hamstrings and stretching the quads.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• inline skating

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you squeeze your butt muscles all day, it will help tone them. It's like doing kegels, just do it with your butt instead.

Just clentch & release, clench & release. You can do it while sitting on the computer.

Walking also works yout butt muscles. If you walk at a slight incline, your butt will feel it. Squats is best, but that might be hard on your knee's.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ellipticals are great for the butt! My knees are bad as well, but the Elliptical doesn't bother them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks ladies. And to the woman who says squats aren't bad for knees, you really don't understand how bad my knees are....but thanks for the input.
    art.diva

Comment by art.diva (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• you're not doing the squats right if they're hurting your knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all your body weight should go into your heels, your knees shouldn't feel it at all, just like you're sitting down
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I use Brazil Butt Lift ... it's a Beachbody workout program designed for shaping that beautiful butt, but also gives you a good ab/cardio workout.
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 12:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I know how you feel, I have two old injuries in my knees....in my left a small tear in a ligament, in the right knee torn cartilidge that blocks my knee from straightening all the way. My knees crack as a walk or go upstairs, but when I work out and they are warmed up they are good during a workout.

I do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds and I love them, I'm able to do it even with my knees, and the sitting down into side steps and then kick backs really does firm your butt. And the workout itself is great for losing weight. I've lost 50 pounds in the past with it and I'm but on track to losing the final 50 pounds I have to lose (already 12 pounds down in about 2 and a half weeks)!

I'm not really able to do squats very well either, both my knees feel weak and sometimes even pain when I do them, but I have been able to do semi lunges in the Biggest Loser workouts....and I plan on doing them again as endurance builds
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Ladies saying these exercises aren't bad for the knees have to understand she is saying she has previous knee injuries that make them difficult, painful and nearly impossible for her without risking further injury. My knees sometimes POP and once I had my knee dislocate just from walking in cowboy boots....some knees cannot handle those kinds of exercises!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011