Do you believe US as parents sometimes Make up excuses for our kids?

I do, and I am trying to stop myself from doing it....

Sometimes kids do forget to do things, sometimes they forget there homework, sometimes they get tired and cranky and try to smart mouth you, sometimes they forget to clean there room but if we teach them and it becomes a habit and it is not a daily struggle and they forget then I believe them, but if all the time they say----I forgot, I forgot then it becomes and excuse.......

I think in all the years I have seen things, being a parent my self and parents dealing with there kids, that sometimes we make up excuses for our kids out of guilt, I am kicking guilts butt today..... Bye bye guilt hello HAPPINESS....... i WILL POST THAT TOO... :)_

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• YES, and the majority of the time the excuses are bad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• There's a fine line from being understanding to making excuses for them. That line gets blurred- b/c by making excuses for them, we get to excuse our own shortcomings as parents sometimes. It's also hard to sit back & watch them make mistakes, when it's so much easier to step in yet again! No one ever said this job would be easy- and if they did- they lied! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• excuses are like a**h*les....everyone has one and they all stink! I make excuses up for my child, and shes only TWO!!!!!!! She know's right from wrong, in most situations....but i must stop saying "shedoesn't understand" because seh does! !!!! grrrr guilt, u stink!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• @knicole: Don't feel too guilty just yet! While your little may understand what "no" means she does not yet KNOW right from wrong. Children aren't developmentally able to truly understand right/wrong until they are at least 8 years old.

I think a lot of parents make excuses for their children to disguise the fact that they are excusing their own shortfalls as parents! I make a point of not making excuses for my children. I understand sometimes they've had a bad day, etc. but that never ever excuses them from acting out at people. I know sometimes they forget to put their things away, but it's not an excuse to be hysterical when they can't find what they need. What's important is just to be reasonable and help them see what is reasonable too.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i dont think so, i think i am not doing to bad unless i know there sick or something then i might make some excuses..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011