10 and wanting to date.

My 10 year and I have a very open relationship, He talks to me about thing more then my DH, because my dh is very conservative. Well he recently ask me if he could date ( this is his second crush). Naturally I told him our family rules and that this is not permitted until he is 16 and even then there is no "steady dating. I told him however I would ask his father about if they can talk on the phone. Now ladies we live in Las Vegas NV, and the children here are just very fast. My husband said no, but they could text each other, no phone call with the opposite sex until 12. But he feels we are moving all of this to quickly. He says that we are going towards the "Las Vegas" way. What do you think?

sdgd21

Asked by sdgd21 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree no dating at this age, maybe group dating at 14 or when he shows maturity and respect for girls.
    Anonymous

• I grew up in Las Vegas and I agree with your husband. This is what I would do.... Tell him that in a month from now if he still like this same girl.......phone calls ONLY while in the same room as you (if her parents agree to the same situation) and I wouldn't even let him text... to easy to erase. And I would talk to your sons teachers as well.... make sure they are not sneaking off together. This may sound paranoid.... but like I said, I grew up in Vegas, I KNOW how kids there are! they get bored easy and find 'things' to fill the time.
    JeramiasMom

Answer by JeramiasMom at 3:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I'm sorry I don't see any problems with him talking on the phone... We aren't putting age limits on anything! If a kid wants to do these things they will. I think 10 is a little young but I think 16 is a little old to start dating. By 16 I would hope they are starting to look for a mate, not a date. And can I ask why you don't want him going steady at 16? I would think that is what most parents would want! Do you want him dating around? Cause you really only have 2 choices there. Only 1 girl and steady OR every girl he can find and not steady... Or maybe you just have a different meaning of the word than we do here... Anyways, I think you are being a little strict. I, personally, would prefer he were on the phone to texts... At least you can hear what he says on the phone... Texts chould say anything and you aren't going to know...
    Anonymous

• move
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I dont allow my 10 year old to date, kids in his class do and we dont live in vegas, we live in a small conservative town. I told him he cant date but he can hold hands nothing more if he likes a girl. I would let them talk on the phone. no dating until 14 and I will be in the back of the theatre.
    rose0608

Answer by rose0608 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• LOL bestmommyeber
    Anonymous

• Dating at 10? LMAO.......sorry, but they are still playing tag and talking about Pokemon and forget to wash their hands, wipe their mouth etc. lol DATING???!!!!!!! I would call it more of a play date!
    Anonymous

• My first thought was ahhh no. But there is nothing wrong with hanging out with friends in groups and learning how to be friends with people of the opposite sex. That's not the Las Vegas way that's the way kids learn how to socialize. There isn't too much difference between texting and phone calls with perhaps the exception that you can actually read his messages. That in and of itself is a whole nother issue. The only way children learn how to be responsible is to give them a little independence and room to make their own mistakes. No ten year old should be going on a date and making out in a movie theater but there isn't anything wrong with a 10 year old starting to talk to girls and notice they are cute. That's human nature.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You are right on! 10 is way to early to date. My mom used to let me "date" over the telephone only until I moved out lol.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 11:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'd go along with the phone call with me in the room before I would the texting. I despise that freaking texting !! (but that's another post) Anyway....10 is still TOO young. Anyone not old enough to even where deodorant and has to be reminded to take a bath isn't old enough to "date". This makes me laugh....I will say this, there was a 10 yr old boy who liked our daughter but that lasted about 1 week....they "liked each other at church". There was no phone calls, texts, or anything else going to be allowed...we figured it would fizzle out as quick as it did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2008