Spiritual Fitness Test?

This is just stupid. These are excerpts of a letter sent to the  Military Religious Freedom Foundation. (link at bottom for the whole letter)

What are your thoughts on this?  

Excerpts from the letter sent by a soldier (emphasis his, not mine): 

I am a Christian and therefore neither an agnostic nor an atheist though many of my fellow soldiers are such. Now to the point. I, and everyone else who is enlisted in my company, was ORDERED by my Battalion Commander to take the GAT’s Spiritual Fitness Test not very long ago. Let me make this CLEAR, we were all ORDERD to take it.

There was NO “anonymity” at all. None of us were ever told that we did NOT have to take this Spiritual Fitness Test nor that we did NOT have to tell our First Sgt. what our results were. A bunch of us “failed” the SFT and when we told that to our First Sgt., per his disclosure order, he further ordered us to make immediate appointments with the chaplains so that we would not “kill ourselves on his watch”. None of us wanted to do it but we were scared.

http://rockbeyondbelief.com/2011/01/18/spiritually-unfit-soldiers-forced-to-see-chaplains-to-get-born-again/

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 11:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Christians are forcing their religion?  Wow I'm shocked!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It wouldn't be the first time some overly-zealous commanding officer force-fed his troops his own personal beliefs without any respect for what THEY might believe. Just ask Adolf Hitler and the millions of jews he sent up in smoke.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I feel like there is something missing from this story. However I'm christian but I don't practice this at all. If I was sent to the Chaplin I'd go because I was ordered to, I'd tell the Chaplin I wasn't interested and it would be up to the military as to what to do next.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My ex is military and he never had to take this test, nor has anyone else I know in the military. See if it's on snopes.com
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 5:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That's just crazy! In reading the link, I wonder what the real cause for the war was. We all know now that the "weapons of mass destruction" excuse was all a lie, as was blaming Iraq for the terrorist attack on 9/11. Since then, our government, under Bush, has come up with all sorts of excuses for the necessity of the war. The one that Bush hinted at (and in one of his few moments of mental clarity, wisely stopped at the hint--calling it a "crusade") was that it was religious in nature.

If what this soldier is saying is true, then they are being forced into Christianity, or at least the attempt is being made, and the soldiers are being told that this war is a religious war--that their mission is to kill Muslims.  How sick.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• All right, I asked DH about this. He has reviewed the test that this part supposedly comes with and it is not there. DH was in charge of ordering (i believe) the tests so that there were enough for the soldiers in Hawaii.
    Someone is pulling some funny shit at that post... or it is all BS.
    This was posted in another group as well and two other ladies whose DH's are military said the same thing
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Kaelansmom ... thanks for the info.
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Welcome :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The Spiritual Fitness Test is relatively new. I'm not sure if there is a standardized fitness test or if unit chaplains create their own based on guidelines. Our unit had one. For the record though, our chaplain isn't a christian, so that must have been a particular chaplain's take on the whole test. The test is supposed to help discover personnel in the unit who may have emotional or spiritual problems that can be identified BEFORE an incident like at Ft Hood last year. In fact it came out after Ft. Hood's incident. The problem is that you CAN'T make this type of test completely anonymous if you're trying to identify someone who needs help. What our unit did to combat this was the Soldier would fold (or insert into an envelope) his/her response, give it to the Team leader through the chain up to the 1SG, who was the only one who was supposed to open them. (S)he would recommend Soldiers to the Chaplain, based on what was read
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011