how do u start potty training boys? what are some good tips/advice?

He has went once on the potty but I got so excited that he stopped... He also knows when he is going number 1 and number 2 but when he gets on the potty he just wants to play. I've tried the bribing thing but I'm not sure if he knows what I'm saying. He is very smart but I just have no idea on what else to do.

LandynsMom1021

Asked by LandynsMom1021 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe get him a "potty" book and let him read it while he's sitting on there. My son loved doing everything under the sun while on his potty.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• With my boy I got a little potty for him and sat it next to the big one and every time I had to go I took him in there and put him on it. He was really good about going, I guess it became normal and he started telling me when he had to go by himself
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You can get these paper targets that you put in the potty and they have to "sink" the target. I used them w/ my older boy to get him to stop missing the potty and peeing on the floor. Just getting ready to start training my 2 y/o boy now as well, so we'll see. I would just keep putting him on the pot every 1/2 hour - an hour and when he's ready, he'll go.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We had luck with naked.
    And only with naked.
    Well, almost naked. I took off diaper/pull up/underpants, put him in a long shirt, brought his potty into where ever we were hanging out, and just let him go at it.

I would for sure sit him down for 10-15 within a half hour of waking and 20-40 minutes after he ate.

Some mornings I would put on a movie or something and he sat on the potty and watched. ANY activity in the potty was rewarded.

It took a while, but he's....85% potty trained. He has accidents occasionally, and we still do trainers at night, but I never have concerns about going out with him in underpants anymore.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try a game with him or get a poster and stickers and tell him everytime pottys he gets a sticker
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• potty books and videos might help and also going to the bathroom when dad goes will get him started
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Well for #1 you could put Cheerios in the potty. Tell him to have fun n shoot em. When he successfully goes try giving him a piece of candy n tell him he will get a piece everytime he goes to the "big boy potty".
    shellbi19

Answer by shellbi19 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2011