Castor Oil to induce labor?

37 weeks. Having steady contractions, but not progressing! I heard this helps well. Any suggestions???

Commissioned77

Asked by Commissioned77 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not to endure. But maybe to induce. It will not work unless your baby is already ready for birth! And it will make you miserable either way. Just say no to castor oil!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• castor oil can be dangerous, it can bring on very intense contractions or make you have such bad diarhhea that you become dehydrated. it is not safe at all. the best thing to do is just wait it out, go for a long walk that might help speed things along.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• From what I've found out by the women on here sharing their thoughts and giving me links, castor oil is dangerous.  I don't know how true it is but enough women have said it that I wouldn't try it.  My understanding is that it can give the baby the runs and then the baby inhales their poop causing problems.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Don't do it. I can cause the baby to have a bowel movement as they come out and they can swallow some of it causing them to have health issues
    Can also dehydrate you from all the pooping and throwing up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I heard it can work but I never dared to try it. I heard the taste is horrible and the effects can be miserable. You should wait awhile and let your body keep progressing on its in. I know its hard at this stage but theres usually a reason your child is still in there. Good Luck hang in there
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's REALLY dangerous. It "works" by causing major intestinal cramping (read:diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration and low anmiotic fluid levels), and hoping that the intestinal cramping will cause uterine cramping. This passes to the baby, who also experiences intestinal cramping, meaning it greatly increases the risk of meconium. I would HIGHLY advise against using castor oil.
    Sex and walking are your best bets. Raspberry leaf tea can help, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The above answers are good advice. Let Nature take it's course.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It's INDUCE not ENDURE!!!!! It concerns me that you what to do this to yourself and you don't even know what it's called!!!!

Castor Oil is VERY dangerous to both mom and baby!!! DO NOT DO THIS unless you just really want to increase your risk of major interventions including, but not limited to a c-section and a possible NICU stay for your baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I drank it (i had a home birth) and along with inducing labor, it make me puke & have diarrhea. Not so fun when you're in labor. But, i was 3 weeks lare & refused to go to the hospital. I REALLY wanted a home birth. But, yeah....it totally induces labor. But beware, you will puke & crap a lot....not sure if you really want that.

I would at least wait until your 40 week mark. No sense in going through being sick during labor just because you're feeling impatient.

Castor oil is not bad for the baby...i had long talks with my Dr. about this....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• late...not lare...
    samurai_chica