Prenatal vitamins...

Im 16 weeks pregnant. & for the past 2 weeks i have forgotten to take my prenatal vitamins. How have i forgotten I have no idea, I WAS pretty good taking my pills everyday without forgetting.
So is it bad for my baby, if im not taking my vitamins ? ? ?

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• being absent-minded can be a symptom of pregnancy. its essentially important to take those vitamins in the first trimester, but the other vitamins/minerals they offer are still important throughout the pregnancy. i doubt you've done any damage, but now that you've remembered, just start taking them again. keep them by your toothbrush or something, somewhere you will see them everyday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Just go back to taking them. It's not going to cause malformations in your baby. Baby gets access to your nutrients before you do, so it means YOUR levels of these vitamins are probably pretty low right now. Try not to fret too much, and just find a way to remember to take them. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• tyfry your doctor was a quack. SOME of those vitamins are for you (iron mostly) but everything else is for the baby. especially the folic acid. folic acid is very important for a developing fetus! even if you just take 2 flinstones daily you need to be taking vitamins so that both of you get what you need.
    Anonymous

• Yes, the prenatal vitamins are really important. Don't worry about the weeks you forgot, that is water under the bridge. Get on them now, while you still can, you don't want to have any problems down the road and have major regrets over a little pill. Just take it. Set your alarm daily to go off as a reminder. Leave a post it on your medicine cabinet...whatever it takes. This baby is counting on you, you are all he/she has and you owe it to baby to take these vitamins! Orange juice, raw spinach, asparagus, lentils and enriched pasta are all high in folic acid, you can supplement with those. But yes, baby needs vitamins.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Folic acid helps prevent brain and spinal defects in the baby-that is the big one.
    Calcium helps build baby bones...and keeps calcium from being depleted in your bones
    Iron help the blood carry oxygen to the baby and to you...

Your prenatal should have the following:

400 mcg of folic acid
    * 400 IU of vitamin D
    * 200 to 300 mg of calcium
    * 70 mg of vitamin C
    * 3 mg of thiamine
    * 2 mg of riboflavin
    * 20 mg of niacine
    * 6 mcg of vitamin B12
    * 10 mg of vitamin E
    * 15 mg of zinc
    * 17 mg of iron
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Okay first ladies your body takes the vitamins FROM you and gives them to the baby so the vitamins are in a way for mom since the body depletes them from her and gives them to the baby. You really do need to start taking them again though. If you are eating a well balanced healthy diet then you should be fine missing a week.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My dr said the same thing. The vitamins were for ME because the baby would literally pull the necessary nutrients to develop out of MY body, leaving me depleted. Since I was already anemic... not a great thing. He said it could increase my risk of osteoporosis (sp?) in later life. I had a hard time with the prescribed ones because the high iron in them made me sick. I ended up having to switch to a lower-iron prenatal and then eat TONS of spinach. My dr told me to listen to my body and if I craved a healthy food, then I should eat it because I was probably searching for a nutrient my body needed.

I ate a LOT of bananas, mangoes, oranges, spinach and liver and onions that way.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I had severe morning sickness and the prenatal vitamins would really get me in a bad place.. We finally figured out is was the iron but that was with baby #3. Just eat healthy and try to remember by putting up reminders. Pregnancy brain is a very real thing. LOL
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 1:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I had to stop taking prenatals after the first 3 months because they made my sick. My doc said the vitamins are for YOU not the baby.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011