How do I get my 8 month old daughter to stay on our schedule when we are on the go sometimes day or night?

We go to my grandma's on Saturdays & church on Wednesdays. Other times are grocery shopping or other things like bible studies or even church functions.

sweetbug27

Asked by sweetbug27 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies have their own schedules. Try to work around it. Doesn't the church have a nursery? Or a "baby-proof" room? Shopping can be done before or after nap. If you mess with her schedule, you may be sorry later.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You either have to make your schedule around her schedule or hire a sitter to stick to her schedule while you are gone during the week. Weekends, stick to the schedule at your grandmas house.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yep. What the other ladies said. You cannot force your child to keep YOUR schedule! If she has a schedule, you can't expect to interrupt it and have her go on like usual. You have to deal with the disruption or learn to work around her needs.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We just go with it. We do and go wherever we need to and the kids adjust. Before we had kids we said we were not going to be home at 7pm every night so the baby could go to bed. We have family, friends, places to go and our children have just molded into our life. If they fall asleep we just put them in a stroller. If we went grocery shopping late, at the age your baby is, if they were asleep we just kept them in their infant car seat and put it in the cart. Our kids can sleep anywhere and sleep through pretty much everything. Our kids are very happy and adjusted. If we are home then we have a routine we follow but if we have somewhere to go, we just do it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Uhmm... what schedule? You mean like sleeping? If you want her to take a nap at a certain time, then be sure to be home at that time. We always just went with the flow and my babies slept whenever they wanted, where-ever we were. A sling helps greatly with this, my youngest napped nearly exclusively in the sling as an infant because we were so busy! :) I typically knew when they would be tired and would plan my day around it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree with the person who said that you either need to stick to her schedule or get a babysitter to do it. While it is true that the baby might eventually adjust to YOUR schedule, in the meantime there could be some rough sailing for everyone as she figures things out.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011