When do you take your daughter to an Obgyn? adult content

My daughter is 12 and statred her period a year ago. I asked my obgyn and she said not til she becomes active but family and friends say I should take her? Help Please!!!!!!

melissaJ81

Asked by melissaJ81 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd start taking her. I've heard and read that you should start as soon as possible. especially when she has her period and all that. at least get her familiar with all of it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I didn't see an Obgyn until I was already pg. I was also told not until they are sexually active.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My mom didnt take me to a gyno until I was almost 16, it wasnt because I was sexually active but because I started having severe problems with my period. I also got diagnosed with HPV then too. Maybe at 13 - 14 would be a good time for an exam if she is not sexually active.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If your Ob/Gyn said not until she's active, that's sound...but will you know when she gets active? My midwives actually start seeing girls when they start their periods. They don't actually do full exams and screens until the girls are active or 18 years old, but they get the girls accustomed to the procedures and familiarized and comfortable with the midwives themselves. I really like that about them!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• there's no reason for her to go now unless she is having problems that need to be addressed by a gyn. she's only 12, i would wait a few more years unless she comes to you sooner.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't take her until she is at least 16 years old or when she becomes sexually active. Which ever comes first. 12 is too young.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Unless she is having issues with her cycles etc then there is no need to go unless she is sexually active. I however would take her BEFORE she actually has sex and leave the room so she can talk with the doctor by herself. I would also try finding a female doctor even if it is a family doctor and not a gyn. Maybe talk with the doctor about coming in just for a talk about what is going on in case there are things she doesn't feel comfortable talking to you about and not actually getting an exam.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I didn't take my daughter until she was going to become sexually active. They do a pelvic at 16 now.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I was told not until I was sexually active or 18, whichever came first.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my mom never took me to an obgyn i 1st went when i became pregnant.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011