How do I get rid of the fleas on my dog until I can get to the store to buy more frontline?

Asked by bama_mama at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• flea shampoo you can get it cheep from walmart

Answer by vakatia at 1:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would get a flea shampoo or any kind of citrus shampoo will usually do the trick. Rub the shampoo into their fur/skin thouroughly and let them soak in it for about 10 minutes. This will ensure that all the fleas that are on the dog will be killed. Be careful not to get the flea shampoo into the dog's eyes - it stings.

I also recommend getting some type of flea bomb/carpet powder to put through your entire house. Depending on how long your dog has had fleas, the fleas and eggs could be everywhere. Use special attention on your dog's bed or any other soft surface where your dog spends a lot of time (furniture, rugs, etc.) Wash everything!

One more important note: You should wait about 3 days after giving your dog a bath before applying the Frontline. Frontline is distributed through your dog's natural skin oils. You will want to give that oil a chance to build back up before applying Frontline. I hope this helps. (I'm a dog groomer).

Answer by jbveltema at 1:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I used to use plain old dishwashing liquid. Lather him up really well and leave it on for at least 10 minutes. You can also add a tiny bit of bleach or windex. Hairspray and then a bath will work too.

Answer by teriehl at 1:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• rosemary or citrus oil diluted work well :)

Answer by faeriemamma at 2:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Try bathing your dog in Skin So Soft from Avon!!!

Answer by Heatherstwin at 2:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

2 tablespoons peppermint essential oil
    1/2 cup rosemary essential oil
    2 tablespoons white cedar essential oil
    1/4 cup citronella essential oil
    2 tablespoons eucalyptus essential oil

Soak a natural fiber rope in mixture and let dry for several hours. Tie around pet's neck. DO NOT use on cats.

• We always used pert plus

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 4:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Borax will kill fleas on contact. I sprinkle it on the carpets, couches, and all cloth surfaces, leave it until i can't stand it anymore and vacuum it up. it is safe for pets and children, and any fleas on the dog that jump off will also be killed. good luck

Answer by maddys_mommy_ny at 5:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I sprinkle garlic on their dog food keeps the fleas away not too much or they wont eat it.

Answer by looneymom at 6:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• flee shampoo should work till you can get the good stuff but if flees get in your home call your local pest control find one that can sale you precore 2000 it comes in a spray will kill flees we can sale it in TN to the public works great but you cant put it on the animals

Answer by jmmcaskill at 6:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008