Does your milk dry up or change in taste once you become pregnant again?

I have a 9 month old whom Im still nursing and were thinking about trying for a third after she turns 1 this yr but Im worried that I might dry up on her. I have also heard that the milk changes in taste and some babys will stop nursing for that reason, is this true?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No idea, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I know it doesn't dry up because there are so many moms out there who tandem nurse... I dunno about flavor...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It dries up about half of the time and many kids will stop nursing because the taste changes. It can also be painful for mom. Yes, women tandem nurse... many continue after the milk is gone so that the older child can get milk again after baby comes. Some don't dry up, don't have pain and baby doesn't mind the change. It IS a risk, though. If you want your baby to nurse for a min amount of time, I suggest waiting until then to start trying to get pregnant.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Nope. If your pregnant and nursing or nursing two at once it is all mothers milk. Go to La letche and they are a wealth of breastfeeding moms. They are supportive and informative.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The taste can change, but doesn't always. Some babies don't care about the different taste, and others will refuse. Your milk supply can drop, or even disappear while pregnant, but not 100% of the time. Again, some babies will continue to nurse even if the supply lowers, and some toddlers, who aren't using it as their sole source of nutrition, will even continue to nurse after the milk is gone, and continue on once the colostrum comes in, and even continue drinking the mature milk after baby is born.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I breastfed my second born while I was pregnant with my third and had no problems with it. There is no harm in trying. While the taste MAY change, there is no saying that it will for sure, and even so, no guarantee your baby will not like it just the same.

Best of luck to you. :D
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011