Would like to know why if you get FS you dont have to clam them on your taxes as income?

Would like to know why if you get FS you dont have to clam them on your taxes as income? People that work for a living dont get to take out what we use to spend on food. Why is it OK the other way? and why is it most people that get government help and dont pay that much in taxes get more back then people who get most of their pay checks taken in taxes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• can of worms

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• These are all good questions but there are no answers. It's just the way it is:(
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm going to guess because it's considered an "after tax" benefit? Child Support isn't reported either, I can see it being treated the same way.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• eye rolling

misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Most Gvt. benefits are not taxed. That'd be like taking back from the disadvantaged they just assisted.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Why would you pay taxes on something you have to be poor as fuck to be eligible for in the first place?

You do know there is a certain income level that is exempt from filing, since the amount is too low? These people do not get anything back either, since they didn't file.

I can't help but feel that people who get butthurt about food stamps are the ones who wish they could get them but make a little too much money to be eligible.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 12:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree - we've never gotten more than $4000 for a tax rebate, even with two kids. I can't understand how some people get double or triple that and they are sucking on welfare's teet.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• How do you know they are getting double or triple that? Are you doing their taxes. Just curious.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 12:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Trust me,they do yogapantz
    My BIL gets $8000 for 'taxes" and he only makes $9000 a year and they get all the welfare that exists!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Just like if you are on unemployment, not sure how it is in other states, but In Wa you have to pay taxes on that income when you file. If you're not working you can't afford to pay taxes. They should at least take taxes out before they give you your check.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011