formula to milk

My son is 11 months old and will be turing one in 3 week. He will have his 1 year check up on Dec 8 but I was just wonder how to do you wean them from formula and give them milk. Do decreased the amount formula during feeding and give them litte milk in a sippy cup or do you stop giving them formula all together and just give them milk instead. Also how did you child do without having formula and did they reaction to the mik. I just want to see what other mommies did for there child when they turn 1.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I give gracie half formula half milk and she is fine. I have been gradually decreasing it ( I am trying to use up my formula..lol). I use the NUBY cup and she is good with it. I still give her a bottle (half and half) in the morning and before bed but that's mostly for me (I need that bonding before work and before bed....pathetic I know but it's not hurting anyone and if that's the biggest mistake i am making than who cares.) She gets a sippy with her meals and juice/water throughout the day. She actually does better with the milk than with the formula. She loves it. She never used to finish her bottle and the other night she drank a whole one and screamed for more. We are doing fine.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have the same question. Mine will be one on the 16th. I have two others but I don't remember how I changed them. My daughter has milk allergies, so just trying to find away to get away from that before I switch. I will keep an eye on this question. GOOD ONE!
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 3:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am thinking with SS we reduced the amount of formula and then gave milk in a sippy cup. But ensure that your child is getting enough nutrition from other sources that he will be healthy without the formula. Talk to you doctor at the check up to see what he recommends.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have 2 kids (4 years and a year next week). When the first turned a year old, this subject tore me up : when to switch to milk and when to go to a sippy cup. Do you do them together? which do you do first?

She was very attached to a bottle so I made the switch to milk first (1/2 and 1/2 and gradually got to milk). I also switched to plain milk at meal times. Bottle to sippy came after, at about 15 months.

The second one we are heading into right now, same as you. He's not into the bottle and loves sippy cups. It will be easier to make both the switches.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 3:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Katherine was already on sippy's at that point (except for night) but I'll say bottle....We took 1 bottle & made it milk for a week until we saw if there was a reaction to milk. Then we slowly took away all the day time bottles & made them all milk...we still had formula to use so we used it up at night & then changed that as well...a couple months ago we took that bottle away totally. now she gets about 2 sippy's a day of milk & also drinks water & juice through out the day.

I would say if you're still using bottles, don't switch to milk & sippy's at the same time...do 1 or the other....
    KatieBellsMom

Answer by KatieBellsMom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• well my son never had formula- 100 % breast fed, BUT i started adding whole milk to his cereal and he ate a lot of yogurt so he aquired a taste for it. then instead of nursing him, i gave him a sippy cup with whole milk. i assume it would work with a bottle too.....
    bowiepainter

Answer by bowiepainter at 4:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• if he refuses milk, mix a little in with his formula. gradually increase the amount of milk, while decreasing the amount of formula. eventually, he will be drinking straight milk, and he won't even notice that anything is different.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• oh, and the sippy cups with the straws work best....i know lots of babies that weaned from their bottles to straw type cups with no problem! =)
    bowiepainter

Answer by bowiepainter at 4:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008