My SO's b-day is coming up

I think I'm just going to have a dinner for him at his favorite restaurant.

Should I invite some friends and family? issue is I can't pay for everyones dinner, plus if they decide to bring their significant others that will cost me a fortune. I wouldn't mind paying for the apps, bringing our own cake for desert and then paying for a few bottles of wine. Would it be extremely tacky to invite people and then ask then to please bring 10-20 bucks to pitch in on their dinner plate? I have had birthday dinners before and all of my friends pitched in and paid, but Idk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• whenever we go out to dinner with friends for birthdays and such we always pay for ourselves.. i dont think its wrong to ask people to pay for their own meals and if they cant they dont have to go
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would casually ask if they want to join, but let them know you can't afford to pay for all. If they can't afford to go , they can always meet you at home for dessert afterwards.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I did that for my daughters bday...on the invitation it said "at own expense" it might have been tacky, but it worked lol.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You know if it's a friends birthday, you can ask everyone to go out to lunch and all pitch in, but when you're inviting people for your spouse, you really shouldn't do that. Either make it a romantic evening for two, or have a party you can afford to pay for at home.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think that I can ask but if they can't afford it I can cover it, I just need a buffer you know. Between Tip, Apps, Dinner, Drinks, I will be paying probably 50 per person
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011