Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Another tax question......

I went on H& R Block website to get an estimate of what I would be getting back. It said about $4,900. There was a place that asked if I was a long time home buyer (purchased house before 2010) then asked for the purchase price. We bought our house in 2006- so sounds like we would qualify for this question.... I am so not good at taxes though. So I entered our purchase price and my refund jumped to $11000!! What is this about? I am actually filing my taxes Friday- should I mention this, does it apply to me, etc??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I haven't heard of anything - here's a bump for you, I'd love to know the answer!

    Answer by Scuba at 12:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Call an accountant!!!! I do not trust H&R Block. They did our taxes wrong and when I told them they did them wrong they argued with me, so I told them I'd do them myself. Found out they were wrong. Trust your instincts!

    Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • You need to look again. I suspect the intention of the question is to find out if you owned a house for 5 years and then purchased a new one last year; if you did that and your income fell below a certain amount you would qualify for the long-time homeowners credit. The credit first started in 2008 as a way to encourage first time homebuyers to purchase homes and help the housing market. The credit was later expended to include people who had owned a home for at least 5 years and bought a new home in 2009 or 2010. If the program is generating forms and you see a Form 5405. If you didn't purchase a home (1st time in 2008 to 2010 or 2nd time in 2009 or 2010), then the credit does not apply to you. I haven't seen the question, so I can't say for sure, but you really need to check this out before filing a return with that information.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I agree with the previous poster. It's worth looking into, but make sure you have the proper forms and information before you claim that credit.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • i haven't heard anything positive about H&R block. I'm trying Lycoming Tax Pro office this time.

    Answer by diamondsarecool at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.