Does your son have a summer birthday?

My son is 4 1/2 and his birthday is July 13th. Im curious to know how many mothers waited the extra year before puting their son in kindergarden. I am considering waiting the extra year and just doing another year of preschool. He still doesnt know how to write his name....hes getting better at writing the letters but they still arent in a line. He doesnt know some numbers and letters but not all. He knows all his colors and most shapes.

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think I'd let him go to kindergarten, and then decide whether to do kindergarten twice. I have 3 sons, one born in August, one September, and one the end of October. All three of them started kindergarten on time. The youngest (October birthday) I wanted to wait one more year to let him start kindergarten, but his brother's were going to school, and he wanted to go so badly. My husband said..."let him go, what's the worst that happens? He repeats kindergarten." So I let him go, and I'm afraid he did really well....and went on to first grade. All three boys did well, and are now in college, and in fact, the youngest started college at 15 ( I will admit that we ended up homeschooling the 2 younger boys....)
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011