Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

do u think this is fair?

my husband has a good full-time job (thankfully because of raising 2 kids. I AM NOT BRAGGING), i am on SSD, don't work ;sahm when we file for taxes we have to claim my SSD (kids get some cash FROM MY OWN SSD CHECK NOT ANY SSI SEPARATELY ) but it is a disability. H&R block says i have to claim it but i don't work. they say don't matter, its still income in household. mother thinks h&R is full of bolony. Am i being ripped off? every year we do file we get killed. paying back in 80% out of my husband's income. or am i just confused??? please clarify.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • the only healthcare kids and i get is through husband's unemployment, no FS, etc.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • If your husbands income is high enough then yes you may be responsible for paying taxes on it:

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Call the SS office first & if they cannot tell you call an accountant and ask them. I will never go toH&R block again. They did our taxes wrong & I told them it didn't seem right & that I would just do them myself.. I called an accountant & asked the questions I had & guess what? H&R was wrong. We almost lost out on over $2,000!

    Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • It depends on your household income. If you go to the IRS website you can find the calculation they use. If you want to verify your taxes, you can always use TurboTax - you don't have to pay anything unless/if you file through them.

    Answer by Scuba at 12:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • If you file a joint return, you may have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a combined income that is more than $32,000.
    That is right from the SSA website.

    Answer by Melbornj at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • would we make out better each filing separated but we are married and do live together. i'm dense on this topic LOL

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • It doesn't matter if you file joint or not, you are still legally married, and he is supporting you. Thus, the tax.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • married filing separetly usually results in more taxes, but you should do the math. Actually Turbo Tax does the math both ways and will tell you which one is better for your family. I would trust Turbo Tax before i would trust H&R block because it gets rid of the human error. It told me which of the two difference college deductions was better during my daughter's third year. it was too much math even for me to go all the way to the end with both options. I do my taxes myself and used to buy a copy of Turbo Tax every few years to make sure I was up to date, but with all the last minute changes this time I think I will actually buy it two years in a row.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • You shouldn't be paying back 80% of your husband's income. I hope that is an exaggeration. Federal taxes don't go above 35%. Of course there are state and local taxes. But you shouldn't be paying back 80%.

    I agree with the PP run the numbers to see if it does save you in tax liability to file separately. Usually it doesn't, but in some cases it is worth it.

    Also check with the SS office and make sure that you do have to pay taxes on it. I'm guessing that H&R block is correct and you do have to pay taxes on that.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • just want to do everything legal. who knows, i could of dreamed the 80% fiqure. lol my memory is less than short term lol

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.