What do you moms think about this? If only one parent works and the other claims the child they have together, should the parent that files a tax return share with the other parent?

A close friend of mine and her S/O have three kids together. They live together but are not married. He's the only one working but every year, when he files his income tax return, he keeps it to himself. When she asks hims about it, he says "I worked for it". Does she have a right to be pissed off at him? And because she's my friend, I try to help her out as best I can, but (not to sound selfish or uncaring), it's getting old and I'm about to confront her S/O, but I don't want to cause any more problems for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• If they were living in separate residences AND she was the primary custodial parent (have the kids 51% or more) then she would have the legal right to claim the kids on her taxes and would not have to share with him.
    Since they are under the same roof, he is the one working AND he is providing for the kids as well as paying child support then he is under no obligation to share his tax return with her.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Right to be pissed off...hell who knows ... sounds like the relationship is screwed up anyway.
    Anonymous

• Um yeah. For so many reason other than just money.
    Anonymous

• yes she has the right to be pissed off. hes claiming the kids which means hes getting money for the kids
    Anonymous

• I am thinking the money isn't the biggest issue there.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Not that it really matters. but she's not working because w/ what he makes, they do OK w/ their bills. He's supporting them and yes I know that's what he's supposed to do, but it seems like he's running with it and is making her feel like shit and guilty because of it.

Anonymous

• And even though they live together but aren't married, he's paying child support on top of using his paychecks to pay all the bills, buy the food and everything else for the house. So, does she still have a right to be pissed off? I forgot to mention that in the original post, sorry.

Anonymous

• yes, especially if he's keeping the money from the kids!!! She's the one who carried him so he has no right to keep all of the money to himself, not to mention he's just being a bad parent if he doesn't nothing for the children with it!
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• That's just it, he is taking care of the kids. They don't want for anything. There's always food on the table, the bills are always paid. They're always clean and well clothed.

Anonymous

• That's just it, he is taking care of the kids. They don't want for anything. There's always food on the table, the bills are always paid. They're always clean and well clothed

That is his responsiblity should he be prasied for doing what he is supposed to do just like she stays home and takes care of the house and kids it is money that should be shared. Does she share her child support with him or does she keep it seperate from his money. sounds like a bad situation one reason why you should be married before having kids
    Anonymous