Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

My daughter and Grandson

My stepdaughter has a 2 year old son whom the father is in the military over iun Iraq, he has only seen his son 3 times in his life not by choice but because he has been deployed, he pays child support and all in all is the best dad he can be being away........Problem,,,,,,,His mother the grandmother..........she has become a large problem, she is a compulsive liar and is Drama queen in the dictionary has started alot of problems because of this my daughter chooses to not let her see the baby, wish I could explain more she really is a nightmare. There is no custody for the child they were never married, what can she do to protect her son? She will eventually allow the child to see her only when she is (My daughter) is present, they can not even talk to each other and her and I have the same problem (other grandma) What can my daughter do? She (Other Grandma) says they will take her to court and get visitation rights, all and all my daughter does not have any income except 300 she recieves for child support she she can not afford a lawyer what scares her the most is that she does not have custody and what if dad comes and takes him and does not bring him back, he has that right,,,,,,,,,,we need some advice please


Asked by buttonlts at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 21 (11,115 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (18)
  • Crap, then depending on what state you live in she could have grandparent rights.  To be safe I would start letting her come over and visit the baby.  First I would google your state and grandparent rights to see if you even have to worry about it.  I'm sure neither of you would want her to be able to take the baby anywhere so maybe supervised visits with both you and mom would be better. 


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • You need to go to court and establish custody. The father pays child support? Court ordered or on his own?

    Answer by Dalimonster at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • this is a tough one.. id consult a lawyer

    Answer by zperez0809 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Most state don't even recognize grandparent rights, certainly not in the case of mother and father not being married. Your DD is the custodial parent, there really isn't much the grandmother can do.

    Answer by Scuba at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • i know in some states they offer legal assistance. since she has no income she could qualify. tell her to look online and see if that's a possibility in the state you all live in. good luck


    Answer by Christieluv0614 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I hope you all are right she really is crazy..............and we do need a lawyer bad

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • What I don't understand is the custody thing.  How does your daughter not have custody? 


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Oh okay, sorry, I was confused on that one.  Is his name even on the birth certificate?  It probaly differs from state to state but where I live if the father didn't sign the birth certificate then his parents wouldn't have any rights to the child whatsoever. 


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I just mean there is no papers like when you get divorced, her child support is through the state and the dad carries his ins through the military, we just need to get rid of the Grandmother

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • she gave the baby his last name..................I tried to tell her

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011