how do YOU make chicken enchiladas?

ive always wanted to but everything i see at the store is just sauce in a can. i dont want to google recipes either, i would like a recipe that is tried and true. stouffer's makes a good frozen family size meal but again i would like to try home-made. TIA! :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Typically I use left over chicken (or turkey) I shred it and add it to a mixture of salsa, rice, and cheese.This is my "stuffing" for the enchiladas. After that I roll the mixture up in flour tortillas and top with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 until the cheese is melted. Top with sourcream and enjoy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I poach 3-4 chicken breasts to cook them through, that way they are more tender than boiled chicken. Then I shred them. I chop a small white onion and saute it with a clove of minced garlic in a little butter until the onion is translucent. Then, I mix in my shredded chicken, a can of cream of mushroom soup, 4 ounces of cream cheese and a can of chopped green chilies. I spoon the mixture into flour tortillas (I don't like corn tortillas) and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Roll up and place in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I make enough to fill my pan and put the rest of the mixture in the freezer for another time. After you have all of the enchiladas rolled and in the pan, mix a can of green chile enchilada sauce with a cup of shredded cheese in a sauce pan. Heat until cheese is melted and top the enchiladas with it. Bake at 375 until the edges are nice and golden - about 45 min.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I usually just clean out the fridge. If you like stoffers just use them.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I make mine with a 3 lb bag of frozen chicken. I slow cook it in chicken broth, garlic, onion and chili powder till it's tender. Cool & shred. The liquid is strained and cooked down to 1/2, then thickened with more chili powder and flour to make sauce. The shredded chicken is mixed with chopped green onion and cilantro and a little sauce. I heat the tortillas (corn) and soak in the sause, then stuff with filling and roll. The entire pan is then covered with the remaining sauce and baked. Halfway through I cover with cheese, green onion, cilantro and sliced black olives and bake until the cheese is melted.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    1 8oz container of sour cream
    1 cup of salsa
    1 teaspoons of chili powder
    2 cups of cooked shredded or chopped chicken
    1 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese
    10 flour tortillas
    1 medium tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 green onion, sliced (about 2 tablespoons)

stir the soup, sour cream, salsa, and chili powder in a medium bowl.
    stir 1 cup of salsa mixture, chicken and cheese in a large bowl.
    spread about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. roll up and place seam side down in a 3 quart shallow baking dish. pour the remaining salsa mixture over the filled tortillas. cover the baking the dish with foil.
    back at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. top with the tomato and onion.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• vegetable oil
    flour
    chili powder
    can of tomato sauce
    water
    cumin
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    sale & pepper

This is my basic recipe for enchilada cause. I sometimes use fresh everything, which is always better, but i don't always have it on hand. This is a basic recipe & i never measure...sorry! You can play with it to your liking.

I cut up some frozen chicken, a large sweet onion & garlic & cook until it's done on the stove top. Then i sprinkle cheese on it, not much...just enough & mix until melded. I use either cheddar, jack or both. Then i roll it up in tortillas, pour the sauce over it, sprinkle a little more cheese on top & then i also sprinkle with diced jalapeno's. Sometimes i put the jelapinos in the chicken mixture. I bake it until the sauce is bubbly. Goes extremely well with my mango salsa!

One of DH's favorites...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• "sauce" not cause...sheesh really can't type lately...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I buy the Old El Paso can of sauce but do my own little twist. I take boneless chicken breasts cook and shred, then add half a can to them with shredded cheddar, oregano, cumin, basil, and chili powder, mix and roll in softened flour tortillas place in rectangle pan pour two cans of sauce over , top with more shredded cheese cover with foil and bake. until cheese is melted. you can get exact recipe from epicurious.com.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 1:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My grandma was from Guadalajara and taught me how to make them. We make them around once a week. I use a whole chicken boiled until its falling apart basically. I removed the chicken and shred it. I add one can of Enchilada sauce (Medium is fine, mild isnt as good imo). I chop about 1/2 cup white onion & 1 tspn Garlic (finely chopped) & 1 cup of cheese (shredded mild cheddar or mexican blend). I mix it all together. I have a large 9x12 baking pan I use Pam on, and use 10-12 corn tortillas. You fill each one and roll it. Place it in the pan. Continue until the first layer is done. Add more Enchilada sauce and cheese on top of the first layer. Start on 2nd layer. Add more Enchilada sauce (I usually use one large can for the topping, 1 small for the mix). Add more cheese on top.

Put in oven at 375 for 30-45 minutes and serve.

Answer by gemgem at 1:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I make a roux, and add cumin, chicken broth and milk. I shred up leftover chicken into it. Fill tortillas with the filling and a little cheese, and lay them in a well-oiled lasagna pan. On top, I put tomatillo sauce (store bought) and more shredded cheese, and put them in a medium oven until everything's bubbly.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011