why won't my 5 yr old stop talking?

seriously, he starts, and won't stop. i can tell him to stop talking, explain what not talking is, he just keeps saying whatever is on his mind, which, don't get me wrong, i like to talk to him, but he just won't stop.
i know this sounds bad, but im really not like not wanting him to talk at all, but he just rambles on and on about nothing. just jumps from one thing to another. like he can't stop....

please tell me someone knows what i am talking about?!?!?!

i can start talking to him about something about school, like what he did, and he will start saying color, then jump into something two weeks ago at the grocery store....and then jump into something else. i'll him to stop talking, and think about what he wants to say, but he just won't stop........????

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My nephew is like that. He used to tell me the most wonderful stories.
    I don't know how to stop him. I remember my brother said that asking Jorge questions as he was telling the story would get him to stop eventually.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 1:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Why can't he talk to you? I know it's annoying but he is bonding with you. One day, when he is a teen and wants nothing to do with you you will miss these days.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• usdragonflies- thats not what i am saying. not at all. talking to me is fine....i luv it! BUT he goes on tangeants and what he says makes no sence at all! you know what he is talkinga bout for the first few sentances, but then he drags off on something totally unrelated.
    im not saying at all i don't want him to talk! its hard to explain!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I was like that until I was about 8 or 9 years old. My nickname was "motormouth." I suppose I didn't have a sensor or a filter that was between my brain and my mouth, so everything would just fly out, even before I thought about it. No one in my family was the same way, so I don't know where it came from...

I grew out of it eventually, but I'm sure my parents were in as much hell as you are!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• oh ok. I see now. Sorry. Maybe if you just calmly remind him to slow down while he is talking. Is it possible he has ADHD?
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Is his rambling causing a problem at school?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I get what you're saying. You'd rather he not talk about nonsense, right?
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• so, nobody knows what i mean? im really not saying i want him to just shut up and leave me alone, i don't know how to explain it. i was reading about aspergers, b/c i have concerns about "autism" and that was one of the "symtoms".....so....yeah, idk.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My 4 year old dd is the same way. she loves to talk and she makes up these big word and will go on and on. sometimes we just tell her to hush for a few min and she cant. she just loves to talk. not sure how to help you out but just wanted to share that my lil girl is the same way. so don't think its just your son lol

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Don't worry about him having problems. His only issue is QUANTITY instead of QUALITY. But maybe you can bring him back on track by saying, "Oh, I thought we were talking about your science class? Would you rather talk about something else?" Just to let him know that it may be difficult for others to follow his rapid train of thought. (I'd bet that he's very creative, and talking is just an outlet until he finds another one).
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011