immunization

k so my brother in law let his daughter go with out her shots she got them till she was one and now she is 4 and hasnt had any from age 1-4. the health clinc will only give her her 4yr old shot b/c the are free and they wont do the rest i know there are some she will need in order to go to school but my main question is i have a 6 month old and i watch a 6 week old can she give them anything that can be deadly since she dosnt have all her shots sorry so confusing i dont know how to explain

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• She can only give them something if she is sick.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• so many kids at the park, zoo, library, school, daycare, etc are not immunized these days. you cannot live in fear of that. as long as there's no fever, rash, bright green nasal discharge, etc etc I think you're good 2 go
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• she is always sick they also wont take her to the dr they want me to do it and i cant i have 3 kids of my own plus 2 babysitting kids like i know wooping caugh is going around in our town im so afraid she will get it the give it to by baby which can be very bad for him b/c he has asthma thank you for your answer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If your kids are current with their shots, it's unlikely that they will get anything from your niece.

Each county has a health department that has a list of shots they recommend for children from birth on up, so you may want to stop by and get the information for your brother-in-law. Of course it's his decision, but you can make sensitive recommendations!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The vast majority of kids who are getting whooping cough have been vaccinated. We don't vaccinate our kids, but if people who do are so certain their vaccines work, what's all the fear about?

I'd check the actual statistics on the diseases you are vaccinating against. The chance of a child dying from or having permanent damage from any of them is EXTREMELY RARE.

Do your own research. Doctors are only taught that vaccines saved the world. But research proves that that is completely unfounded.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Just because she hasn't had her shots does not mean she has anything to give to your children. My kids have never had shots, and they also don't have any of the illnesses the shots are supposed to protect against.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Do your own research. Doctors are only taught that vaccines saved the world. But research proves that that is completely unfounded.

well they did in the beginning save the world when we didnt have the ways to keep clean and keep healthy, but that was back then not now..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• the only diseases I would be worried about would be something she (the 6 mo) can't yet get vaccinated for----and is a real threat in the population. At 6 months, that would only be the meningitis and whooping cough--and by 8 months she's probably going to be fully vaccinated against those. The neice probably is, too since she had shots up until age 4. Chickenpox is another one ---not really life threatening, but it can land a baby in the hospital with encephalitis. Be sure that the mom is aware of which diseases that your niece isn't vaccinated against. You don't want a liability issue. I'm a delayed vaccinator as well.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 2:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• well they did in the beginning save the world when we didnt have the ways to keep clean and keep healthy, but that was back then not now..

Actually, no, by the time the polio vaccine was available, polio had already run its course & less cases were being diagnosed. This is true for most diseases that vaccines are given for now; by the time the vaccine became available, the disease was already on the decline, either because of increase sanitation awareness or because the disease had already run its course. All through history we see diseases sweeping through populations, then declining & life goes on - that's how the natural world works. This is not to say that I would want one of my loved ones to fall victim to one of these disease, but if we keep ourselves healthy & strong, allowing our immune systems to do what they are designed to do, we are more likely to survive the encounter.
    Anonymous