my daughter has an unstable environment

how do I help my 11 yr. old granddaughter her mom yells at her constantly and she is so depressed.

donna112658

Asked by donna112658 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• you could call her school and tell them.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• that bad? how interested are you in saving her? file for custody? force mom into anger counseling and parenting classes? after 11 comes the teens..... she needs a loving person to come home to.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree if you are really worried and want her out you can always file for custody. You could also bring it up to your daughter and suggest family counsaling.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Call the school they might have some good suggestions for places that can help... ie counselling
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 1:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Everything above...and just be a lifeline for the grandaughter in the meantime. Invite her for overnights and do things with her to build her self esteem. Talk to her about her feelings and find out what she has to say. Plan some things, if possible to do with her to show her that she is valuable and special.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Family counseling. Fighting for temporary guardianship with stipulation that mom gets parenting classes in order to get custody back. Emotional abuse is worse than physical.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have tried to talk to my daughter about her verbal abuse and she starts screaming at me. My granddaughter use to come over all the time now she just wants to stay home and sleep. I have talked to her and told her it isn't her that makes her mom so verbally abusive. The girls see that their mom is like that with everyone. My daughter is going to counseling for herself, but I suggested that she get my granddaughter into counseling as well and she starts screaming. My oldest daughter tried to tell her the exact same things I have and she doesn't want to hear any part of it. My granddaughter is having problems in school, friends etc., but she also is acting like her mother, which she cannot control. It is breaking my heart and the other family members. Should I take control and make her appointment for counseling? I cannot stand it anymore.
    donna112658

Comment by donna112658 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011