What do you feed a 21 month old that just wants to graze all day?

She used to eat anything we put in front of her.But now she just takes a couple of bites and thats it.Then she wants something else 10 - 15 minutes later.

FreeFall

Asked by FreeFall at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son WILL NOT eat anything. I need help with this also.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She does that because you let her.

Serve 3 meals and 2 snacks. If she doesn't eat, then she can wait until the next meal. She will not starve and will realize that you make the rules, not her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My kids are only allowed to eat when they are sitting down at the table. Once they get up, the meal/snack is over and they have to wait until the next one. It doesn't take them many times of that happening to get the point.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• grazing at that age is actually normal and natural just make sure she eats all the food groups. Force feeding huge meals several times a day is one of the reasons for obesity. I would rather things be this way with my son but he has chewing and swallowing issues due to low muscle tone so i have no choice but to have set meal times but in normal circumstances grazing is NORMAL.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Geez at her age grazing is fine. It is a personal decision depending on each mom. I never was concerned with eating habits or schedule myself. I would let my now 33 year old eat cereal outta his dump truck if he wanted back then. Needless to say I was given a hard time by all the moms in my life. My mother being the worst! Go with the flow. she will 21 months only once. Stages move through quickly. Next week with yet be another. Hugs!

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try some finger foods and let her take her time and eat. what she doesn't eat put up for later since you know she is going to eat again.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Let her graze, just make sure what you offer her to graze is healthy and nutritious and that her diet balances out at the end of the day.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Let her graze my DD's doctor said it was normal!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That is normal. My son at almost 5 years old eats up to 6 small meals/day. i am the same way.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011