can state paid for childcare dictate the days of daycare?

so i was having this convo on FB with my SIL, about childcare taht is paid for by the state. apparently, the state pays for 5 days and says therefore, the child HAS to attend 5 days a week. both parents of this child work, not sure why they get state, but that is another post. so, what the state is saying, if you have a day off, mon-fri, your child STILL has to go to daycare? is one not capable of taking care of their own kid when they are not working?

anybody else heard of this? do you send your kids to daycare, even when you have the day off?

itzmyzoo

Asked by itzmyzoo at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• WOW, I didn't know that. That is a really stupid law. Why set it up like that when you can save state funds by letting him stay home a few days?
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It could possibly be connected to funding for preschool education. I would imagine that the school has to be paid whether the child is there or not. If the state is paying for it. I feel they should be able to dictate the conditions. Often parents do not take school serious and feel thaey can just use it at their convenience.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have heard of people who don't work send their kids to childcare but im sure that's not state paid. It does sound like a stupied rule that they would have.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• @ tootoobusy, unfortunetly, it is not preschool, just a day care. baby just turned one! i wish it was something that made sense like that!
    itzmyzoo

Comment by itzmyzoo (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have an in-home daycare and I had a child here on Monday, both her mom and dad were off work. Mom is pregnant and tired and Dad had errands to run so she got to come to my house like every day. With state funded care I believe that is a law with the state. Since the state is paying for that day the child needs to attend. They also dictate if parents work part time then the child is only allowed there for some many hours a week and not full time.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes, they can. In Wisconsin, your child has to attend atleat 50% of the time allowed on the voucher or the parents are responsible for ALL the child care. It is because too many centers and parents are scamming the system. Saying kids are attending when they really are not. As an FYI, I made 11.25 an hour and still qualified for child care assistance, I paid most of the cost, but the $50 a week really helped me because after taxes, insurance, etc I had very little left of my check each week to pay child care.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yes. In Nebraska, if you recieve state paid daycare hours, your child must attend all those hours, unless ill, regarldless if the parent is off or not. I used to work with women who recieved state aid, and they explained in detail how it worked. Plus, i worked in childcare, and saw firsthand how it works. One parent, who had a weekday off once a week would come into the childcare and spend all day, but if she took her child home early or kept her out of daycare, she would risk losing all the state aid. It's a sad, messed up system.
    Anonymous