When can I give my baby table food?

My son is 6months old and is eating baby food like a champ. If someone is eating however, he is eying the food and trying to get to it. My mom said I never ate baby food.. I refused to apparently. She put whatever the family was eating in a food processor and fed me that... Can I start doing that for baby Vinny or should I wait a few more months?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on what you're having. Usually you wait until they can self feed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My kids were completely on table food by around 7 months. My daughter is 6 months, 2 weeks and I've been feeding her small bit of banana, some of our sweet potato, etc. from our meals. I don't even put it in the food processor, I just chop it finely with my fork, or mash it through the tines. She loves it! But only single foods so you can watch for allergies.

Answer by missanc at 2:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• well there's some things to still avoid (milk, honey, shellfish, nuts) in theory a pot roast dinner could be ground up.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yes you can feed him table food just stay away from fish, honey milk nuts those type of things like hibbingmom said. My son never age much baby food by the time he was 7months old we were feeding him table foods we just would mash it up or grind it up in a blender good. by the time he was 9months as long as it was soft small pieces he could mash with his own gums he was self feeding with alittle help at times lol.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We never did baby or pureed food. I just gave them soft appropriate table foods on their tray and they fed themselves. Steamed veggies to start, then meats and eventually grains.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My 8 month old is always eyeing what we have!! LOL It makes me feel guilty, so I often offer him something from my plate, if I can mash it or mush it up for him. He's started to enjoy lumps and textures more now, which is great fun to watch for the first time. His first pasta with marinara sauce was made memorialized by several photos because it was so cute. lol :)

There's no need to wait to offer your Little Guy what you guys are having, especially if you grind it in the food processor, so long as you make sure you're using your common sense regarding allergy safety.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011