Is it a good idea for me to pump breastmilk for nighttime feedings?

I don't really know if giving the baby breast milk from a bottle will make her not want to take my breast anymore. I know I'm going to want to pump sometimes too though and I was wondering if it makes nighttime feedings easier if there is already pumped milk to give her?

pitterpatter422

Asked by pitterpatter422 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how would that make anything easier, seems like more of a hassle. I could see if you had some pumped so your husband can help every once in a while, but not all of the time, that is a quick way to loose supply/
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think it's easier to just nurse.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Well as a first time mother I wouldn't know what is easier. That is why I am doing research and asking you. I won't lose my supply if I'm not constantly pumping. I'm still planning on breast feeding the majority of the time. I just wondered if anyone had tried pumping a few bottles or even just one bottle for nighttime feedings and if they had found it any easier.
    pitterpatter422

Comment by pitterpatter422 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• With my son he was a terrible night time breastfeeder... he would wake hungry and fall back to sleep and wake 5 minutes later because he wanted more. We ended up doing 1 bottle/night and it really helped. My DH did the night feedings so I got a longer stretch of sleep... it was NICE! :)
    I DID pump though... I would pump 10 minutes while DH was up feeding... it usually took him 30+ to eat so I still got more sleep. Later when my son was older and my milk supply was well established I stopped pumping at night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Bottlefeeding is more work than breastfeeding. You have to warm the bottle, then hold it and baby and then put baby back to sleep, PLUS you'd have to pump afterward anyway for the missed feeding.

Whereas, if you're nursing you can just bring baby to bed, get her latched on and go back to sleep. No prep, no clean up, no pumping.

Even if you have someone else giving the bottle at night, you'd have to pump for that feeding anyway, not only to maintain supply, but also because you will be in PAIN if you don't... so may as well just nurse baby directly, right?

Wait to try bottles until baby has nursing really well established... typically between 4-6 weeks. Again, you need to pump for missed feedings. Typically you only want to use bottles when you will be separated from baby... otherwise it's just easier to nurse! :) GL!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• its not easier and it could cause nipple confusion! but it would b nice for the extra sleep if ur SO got up with the baby! i know its tempting but i wouldnt risk it! sorry mama!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• We have done both. And I have to say that night nursing was so much easier than night bottles. I didn't feel as tired. But you will have to kind of wait and see what works for you and your little one!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think AmiJanell gave you a great example of a way in which it could work to your advantage. For me, I always found it easier to nurse at night- I learned to nurse laying on my side and I could just put DD in bed with me and doze while she nursed, then she would usually nod off when she was done. I am also a light sleeper and DH sleeps like the dead, so I heard every little cry and even if he had fed her I would have been awake and listening so it was easier for me to just go ahead and nurse. Do keep in mind that your milk production is higher at night so you don't want to skip a feeding or pumping because it can throw off your supply- night is a time that your hormones tell your body to make milk. As a new mom I think you will find it easiest to just listen to your body and your instincts and go with your gut, every baby and body are different so whatever works for you is what is best. Don't be afraid to try different things
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't think it's easier, nor is it a great idea, for most people. You might find that it works well for you, and if it does, then go for it. But, as another poster mentioned, whenever baby eats, milk should be removed from your breasts. So, if you use a bottle for a specific feeding, you need to remove that milk either by pumping or hand expression. If you do not remove the milk for a feeding time, your body will not get the signal that it needs to make that milk, and your supply will most likely suffer. Personally, nursing directly was much easier for me at all times of the day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Actually, I have BF all six of my children, (I'm still BFing my 8 month old) and YES, I pump, too. I keep a stockpile of breast milk in the freezer for times when we might go out and leave him with his grandma. I also pump to have milk to mix with his oatmeal.

That said, I breastfeed on demand. Still, there is nothing wrong with pumping for a night feeding so long as you empty your breasts so that they do not get the signal that the demand for milk is diminishing. It's not a bad idea to get him used to taking your milk from a bottle, because if there is ever a time that you want him to take one and he has never done it before, I can almost guarantee you he will refuse to take it and whoever is offering it to him will be a very frustrated caregiver. lollol

Wishing you all the best.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011