My son Michael is 51/2 yrs. old and in kindergarden. He attends school in the afternoon. My problem is that when I pick him up, he throws a tantrum and refuses to go in my car. The Assistant Principal and two teachers have to carry him into my car. We have tried everything with him to get into my car on his own from giving him rewards to a sticker chart. Help! Do you have any ideas on how I can remedy this problem?

Sandra090269

Asked by Sandra090269 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you pull up to pick him up or park and walk to get him?
    LINDSEY2B

Answer by LINDSEY2B at 3:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am a big believer in tough love, and I would not put up with this!
    I would inform the teachers ahead of time, so they didn't freak out and they were in agreement with me, but I think I would leave his little but standing in front of the school and drive off!!!
    Then, ask his teachers to make him sit of the front steps and watch all the other kids go home. Come back 20 minutes later and I bet he'll be ready to go next time.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• christy doesn't have a bad idea... my mom did that once and it taught my bro not to act like that
    Anonymous

• I would fully agree with what Christy. I would make sure you tell the teachers.
    bulfrg_317aaj

Answer by bulfrg_317aaj at 6:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't agree. It's not fair for the teachers to have to babysit your child, while they have many, many other kids to look after. I really don't think the other parents would appreciate it.

When he acts up, say, "Micheal, you will stop your whining and get into this car. It's time to go home. If you continue to misbehave, I will take you into the bathroom and spank you." And then follow through. Nothing wrong with a well deserved spanking - you will not scar him for life.
    Anonymous

• i can understand having a problem going TO school for a few days but to be that freaked out by getting into his own mother's car after school? That seems way out there. There is either something severly wrong at home that he doesnt watn to be a part of or he just likes the negetive attention you give him by carrying him to the car. If he isn't getting the attention at home that he gets at school that might also be the problem. Don't freak out i am not saying you are a bad mother. But life gets hectic and sometimes its hard to notice things that might be contributing to the childs behavior. How long has he been going to kindergarten? Its november how can you or the teachers be allowing this to take place everyday? I don't know in a normal child they should be so extremely happy to tell you about thier day and what they learned. At least thats how my 2 preschoolers are.
    SparklesOfAmber

Answer by SparklesOfAmber at 7:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When he acts up, say, "Micheal, you will stop your whining and get into this car. It's time to go home. If you continue to misbehave, I will take you into the bathroom and spank you." And then follow through. Nothing wrong with a well deserved spanking - you will not scar him for life.
    ~~~~ I gotta agree that this would be my first option. And, my kids certainly know that I would follow through when we got home, but I was assuming that you don't believe in spanking, or he probably wouldn't be acting this way in the first place.
    ~~~~ I know I will get bashed for spanking my kids, but I'm not going anon! I proudly stand by what I believe.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• people he obviously isnt jsut a brat that needs a spaking or to be taught a lesson by leaving him behind. which by the way would break my heart to do to my son....not sure i could ever do that. but anyways...... he's not throwing a fit cause hes not getting a toy at the store or he isnt eating his veggies. he doesnt want to go home with his MOTHER and it takes 3 adults to get him to the car. there is a time and place for everything but this is not the time for those dicipline options.
    SparklesOfAmber

Answer by SparklesOfAmber at 12:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I read in a magazine a long time ago about a mother who had a hard time getting her son to go home after daycare. It's hard to leave when you are having a good time. The child pych said to the mom to let the kid take his time, and let him show mom all the things he did in the class room that day, and when she told him nicely that it was time to leave, and he gave her a hard time-let him give her a hard time. But when they got home, send him straight to bed. Let him get up for supper, but then straight back to bed. No toys, no playing. It worked. No warnings here, either honey. Warnings don't work, and only wear us mothers out. He'll get the point the next day.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 6:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2008