When did your kid become interested in dressing "cool?"

My son didn't care until this year. He's 14. I used to get away with buying the stuff on sale at Target. Now he wants to look stylish and shop elsewhere.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• That is pretty typical. I taught middle school and it usually hits kids in the 6th to 8th grade range. Girls usually develop this before boys.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My daughter is 6..lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• mine is 8 1/2 years old, and he asked for cool clothes for xmas. he was very specific, too! plaid shirts, cargo pants. i couldnt believe it!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 2:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My DS13 is just now starting to care what he wears, my DD11 has been obsessing about it for a year.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My boys are 19, 21 & 28, and none of them have really cared....just as long as they didn't have to shop...t-shirts, jeans and tennis shoes., that's pretty much it......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• first daughter about 4th/5th grade
    son 7th grade
    youngest daughter 3rd grade
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My younger son has cared about his clothes since he was 12 or 13. My oldest is a different story, he does not really care what he wears as long as it fits.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 7:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My son is 13, just started "caring" this year!!! Before he could not care, wouldn't even go clothes shopping, now everything has to be just so! He is not too big about the name brand or the label, but my oh my it has to look a certain way or have certain design on it! UGH!!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My older girls, now 21 and 19, never really cared as long as they didn't have to pay for it, and the twins ,4 , only care if it is pink, purple or blue, their favorite colors.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Try shopping online! They have clearance sales there & thenyou can just say "hey come look at this" before you buy. Also, ebay often as sellers that will sell a group of 5-10 name brand shirts for $30...way cheaper then buying them individual! He just doesn't want to be the dorky kid with the wrong clothes ;)
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 10:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011