how can my kid already hate school?

My 6 year old is in kindergarten and he says he hates school cuz its boring. I dont know if he is being influenced by someone at school, but i know it isnt happening at home. I am not sure what to do, and it is so discouraging for me. He gets mad when he has to do homework or read to us. We try to make it fun and really encourage and praise him . He is really smart, has great handwriting and math skills, and is doing great at reading... He says all he wants to do is play with his toys.. which I understand that to a point, and he gets plenty of time to... but he really really gets upset.....

I dont think he is ADD. He can sit for 3 hours and draw Thomas trains without leaving the table or anything. If he likes something, he can be involved in it forever... but if he deosnt like it, he will fight it. WHat can I do? Maybe he isnt being challenged enough, but what can I do about thaT?

Hsis teacher says he isnt a "self starter"  bu I am not sure what to do about that either?  We always give him the chance to get going on his own and figure things out...  but he always gets distracted by playing with his toys.....  or he just gives up right away... 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He may not be ADD, but he may have a learning disability. Disabilities have nothing to do with intelligence. He may be dyslexic or have some other issue that is frustrating him in his attempts to learn.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He most likely is really intelligent and therefore school is not a challenge. I know moms who have had similar situations. I don't know where u live but in Illinois,kids don't have to go to kindergarten.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my 3rd grader started bringing home mediocere grades the beginning of this year. hated doing his homework. had been an honor roll student every year prior. we had him tested, he was to smart for his class. we moved him into an advanced class, he is back up to honor roll and does not complain about having to go in the AM. of course, he still does not like his homework!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 2:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He might not be getting enough challenges to keep his focus. I would talk to the teacher about your childs behavior. If the teacher is having to get onto the child a lot because he won't do what he is told because he is wanting to play then this behavior has nothing to do with being challenged. Kindergarten's start with basic things that it sounds like he has already accomplished. I would ask the teacher how your child is doing. You cannot always go by what your child says. I hated school because I wanted to play too. I have been diagnose with ADD since Elementary school and if he has that you want to have that taken care of. I am ADD but when i find something i like I can do it for quit a while but i also get overwhelmed if something seems like to much. Good luck
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• some of this is just normal too. Kindergarten is a big change for our kiddo's. We went through this too. I had my son do a checklist. If he read for 15 minutes, he'd get a checkmark, after so many checkmarks, he got to pick a reward (his choice like movie, laser tag, mini-golf), and he loved it! That was just the first year. Now, reading time is something he looks forward to before bedtime! (and we havn't done the checklist in a couple years). It got him in the habit of reading. My son didn't like kindergarten either (which crushed me, b/c he loved preschool), but then came first grade, and he went back to loving school again. Kindergarten is a whole new set of rules, and there is a lot for them to remember, not just what they are learning in class, but routines, way around school, etc.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Its sounds like he is gifted.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 2:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son is like now in preschool(pre-k class). We had him tested and he is gifted. He was really bored and refused to participate.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Your son sounds like mine! He's also in kindergarten and can read and write, most of the other kids can NOT. They are doing the same work he already did in pre-K, so I think he is just bored out of his mind. Also his teacher is a little on the strict side (not saying it like it's bad, she just has certain expectations), so sometimes she tells me he isn't listening. I ask him what he's doing when he's 'not listening' he tells me that he is looking at his hands, his shoes, or watching other kids who are dozing off. I told his teacher he said that's what he said, she confirmed that's exactly what's going on. Sigh...... He sits still and quietly, he just doesn't have his eyes on her at all times. But if you ask her to repeat word for word everything that she says, he can repeat her word for word. My son also says he hates school and wants to play.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2011