if your child ended up getting a psychological evaluation because speech therapy wasn't helping

could you tell me how it was? My son is almost 3, gets speech therapy twice a week for 3o minutes. His ped. had a meeting with me today and told me the state gave him a bad review; he isnt where they want him to be, so he needs to get a psychological evaluation to see what is wrong with him (yes....the ped. said that, "what is wrong with him"). I bit my tongue. Yes he is a bit slow with speech, but he is very social and very smart! He can communicate verbally to get his point across, no he cant recite War and Peace which it seems the state expects all average 3 year old to do....geez.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't get upset. There are many issues that are in no way tied to intelligence. This isn't about how smart your child is. He may have any of a number of different issues. My son had a full psychological evaluation so that they could determine where to look for problems. My son is highly intelligent and that can actually get in the way of testing because really smart kids figure the tests out. The full psychological testing will include IQ testing so they know what other types of tests they need to use. Your son my have a physiological problem that they haven't identified yet. Psychological testing will allow them to rule out many things. Remember, your goal is to help you son speak correctly. Let them figure out how to achieve that goal.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• he isnt tongue tied, and his hearing is just fine......
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Both of my older sons had a psych evaluation - both were diagnosed with autism and my oldest is still in a special education classroom setting, but my younger son . . . if you met him you would have no idea he was diagnosed, he is very social, he has many friends, he's in the schools academically gifted program (identified as a "high need" - meaning he's at the top end of AG kids), and he has age appropriate typical interests. He no longer tests as being on the spectrum, but I fully believe one of the reasons he isn't is due to the intensive therapy he received when he was young. Speech, OT, brushing, GFCF diet, etc. - we did it all.
    Even if they identify a delay in an area other than speech, he's still the same child and it's not the end of the world. Take whatever resources they offer - it's only going to help your child!

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011