How can I post this ad without sounding like I'm discriminating??

Okay, I listed this under Home & Garden because it has to do with my home. Wasn't sure what else to list under.
DH and I have an inlaw suite addition on our house. It has a separate door which is outside on the deck. It has been rented out for the last 5 years and now we find ourselves having to rent it out once again as the man we had in there all this time can no longer live alone :(

We have put it in the paper but we are also wanting to advertise it on craigslist. One of the rules on craigslist is that the wording "no kids", "no pets", "perfect for a couple", "suitable for 1 person" are not allowed, are in fact illegal and considered discrimination.

We do not want to make anyone feel as if we are discriminating and we are not sure how to go about posting this ad. The inlaw suite is only big enough for 1 person, there is no room for anyone that has a child, and we do not want pets in it.

Now, we have children and we also have a pet, a dog, it is not that we don't like them, it is that we do not want pets because of the fact that we do not want anything damaged or ruined in the apartment. It is fully furnished and has new carpeting and flooring and the furniture is mint condition.
Down the road we may have to rent again and even though we would have security deposit, sometimes that may not be enough to cover replacing things say 5-6 years down the road.

So, with all this said, I am looking for some advice on how to go about posting this ad without having anyone feel like we are discriminating. Suggestions and comments please! Thank you ladies!!

Hickette71

Asked by Hickette71 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You don't have to post the No Pets in the ad, just mention it to whoever wants to rent, that you don't allow pets.

As for the rest of it, describe how small it is to the dot. You ultimately make the decision of who you rent it to, so describe how small it is as best you can and when someone shows up to see the apartment, you can give more details.

Most apartment complexes do not allow pets. Most apartment complexes only allow 2 people per bedroom in an apartment, so if the apartment has 1 bedroom, they only allow 2 people in it. It will sort itself out in the process of showing the apartment.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• single bedroom, mother in law suite available for persons aged 18 or over. prefer renter to have no animals.

itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 2:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think that is a HUGE crock that you cant post whatever you want for your own rentable space!

I mean its YOURS...if you want to discriminate and not allow pets or kids, that SHOULD be your call and I totally understand it!!!

This world has lost its mind!
    Anonymous

• LOTS of people refuse pets in their rentals.  I'd look it up in your state and see whats legal.  I don't know about anywhere else but here you can't have say 3 people in a 1 bedroom.  I mean, of course you CAN but landlords are allowed to state the number of people who are living in the house.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Post the square footage, and wording about "all new" etc etc. "Pet deposit required" and ask for a significant deposit for potential damages. use words like "cute", "petite", "studio" etc. to describe it.

Unfortunately, you can't do anything about wear and tear because it happens even if your tenant keeps the place impeccable.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Small one bedroom with some restrictions.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Wow, so many answers and all good ones! Thank you everyone, I appreciate your input! I know it's kinda BS that we can't post whatever we want to rent it. After all, it is our house, it's attached and the kitchen is on the other side of my kitchen. The newspaper we posted an ad in, we put no kids no pets, you are allowed to and I also advertised on ebay classifieds. Hubby wanted to put on craigslist as well, hoping that we can get someone in there by march 1st. Im printing out all your answers and hubby can figure out what he wants to say. lol
    Hickette71

Comment by Hickette71 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• SMALL 1 bedroom, fully furnished. You can state that you don't want pets and it would be too small for kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011