Have you switched OBs in the second half of your pregnancy?

I've become increasingly more uncomfortable with my current OB. She makes me feel as though I'm just another patient and I feel like she's blowing off some of the issues I have. I have been in the hospital three times already (I'm 25 weeks today) with dehydration. I've lost the last three pregnancies and I had weight loss surgery just over a year ago (only 8 months prior to getting pregnant). I feel like she should keep a closer eye on me and listen to my concerns when instead, she says repeatedly "Oh that's just part of pregnancy." Maybe it is, maybe she's seen a million patients who've suffered miscarriages or had weight loss surgery but this is the first time I've been in this situation so it's new to me even though I've had one child 4 years ago. Also, I mentioned wanting to try a more natural childbirth, this time as there were several complications with my son and I just really would like a more peaceful, less medicated experience this time around. She literally laughed and said, "We'll see how it goes without the epidural for very long." The kicker was when I was there this week for an appointment and I heard her bad mouthing another patient. It made me wonder what she says about me when I'm not there.

At any rate, am I crazy for switching OBs so late in the game? A good friend recommended her OB and I called this morning to set up an appointment. The receptionist was friendly, heard me out about my concerns and got me in next week. This will mean delivering at a different hospital, as well. This isn't really a concern since this new hospital is actually closer and I've had good experiences in the other departments there. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this and had some success...or even if it was a disaster, please share your stories.

Thanks!

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 2:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• SWITCH!!!! i switched at 20 weeks! i thought something was wrong i was measuring big and she just said oh ur dates are off and she wouldnt do a sono gram until i was 24 weeks?? i switched and saw the doc 2 days later! turns out i had a cyst the size of a football on my right ovary!! if i had gone much longer it could of caused the baby to stop growing and i could of lost the baby!! if u dont feel comfortable switch asap!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have not switched in the middle because I was blessed with a great midwife, but if I had experienced what you are describing I would have switched. There is no excuse for her behavior. Go to the new one and make sure you call and file a complaint against the old one. What a hag.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No I never changed but you need to have someone you can trust! It's an awesome time and you need to know that you are getting all the support from your OBGYN during delivery and after!
    Toadalove

Answer by Toadalove at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I switched doctors at 31 weeks. It was absolutly worth it. If your current doctor does not take you seriously now, she won't during labor either. Switch!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks, ladies! I have an appointment with the new OB next Friday. :-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011