Self -fulfilling prophecy?

My 19 y/o son seems convinced he wont make it to see 21. For his 16th Bday, he was hospitalized for 2 wks w/ pnemonia, for his 17th Bday, his long time, 1st serious GF broke up w/ him, for his 18th Bday, we lost my Gpa & for his 19th he lost his dad. (Mind you this did not happen ON his B-day, but w/in days of his Bday. So as each B-day has gotten worse, he's convinced himself his life may be cut short. I told him not to think that way. That his B-day is a Blessed day & that the timing of events just suck. I think this is partly why he's so unfocused on important things & even why he dropped out of school. He wont see a counselor either. Is there a book, a movie, anything I could use as a tool to get thru to this kid?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• The song Letter To Me , by Brad Paisley is good.
    A good quote for him is,"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....I'm just not sure if it's a train."
    I can understand his thinking, but he needs to find a way to push through. I had to learn to laugh through the hard times. Mine had to do with years with a 4. At 4 my much loved grandmother passed away, at 14 I shattered my neck in a gym class, at 24 I was kidnapped from an ATM and raped, at 34 I swore I was going to bubble wrap myself for the year and hide. LOL He will be in my prayers.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Letters to god.....Awesome movie
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011