Witchcraft Quote

What do you think of this quote?

"Witchcraft is a fluid, vital art."

I ran across this while looking through "The Weiser Field Guide to Witches" and thought I'd share it. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love this quote! Witchcraft is a art form, it's something we as the witch create in our own way. No two spells can ever be the same as they are infused with out own engery to create the changes we ask of it.

I wanted to respond to the person comparing Witchcraft to a Christian praying. I once considered this a equal comparison too until I really started writing my theory of magick. The number one difference between Christian prayer and a Witch's spell is found in who is beinbg asked to creating the change. In Christianity you are asking the Divine to create the change. A Witch does a spell to rise his or her own engery to carry out their will to create the change. This is why Witchcraft is an art and Christian pray is begging.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 11:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I like it. :-) I use to be Wiccan and practiced witchcraft when I was younger, and many things still appeal to me like 'harm none', 'the threefold law', etc., especially ideas that parallel well with my current beliefs. Sounds very similar to Buddhist ideas that everything is impermanent and everything is ALWAYS changing. Makes sense to me!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't call it vital at all. No one needs it to live, breath, or even survive. I would think of it more as a hobby, something that some people like to do.

-----

Ok, besides the fact that this statement might sound a little insulting to those who follow this path, there are multiple definitions of the word 'vital' that could be intended in the quote. I think it's being used in this way in saying it's a VITAL art:

2. having remarkable energy, liveliness, or force of personality: a vital leader.

or maybe this way:

5. of great importance;

DEFINE: VITAL
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I love it. It's very true. I think the problem with it is not what it says but what people THINK it says. When the word witch or witchcraft is used people automatically flash to witchcraft = evil. But the truth is that EVERYONE uses magick, EVERYONE uses witchcraft, they just don't call it that. But at some point in their life I am going to guess that EVERY person on earth has focused their energy in to creating change... And THAT is witchcraft, even if they don't call it that. Which makes the quote very accurate and on point...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It is quite vital to me. And good and effective witchcraft IS an art. Woe to you if you practice it POORLY!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Good quote...I like it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I don't understand it..

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• SuperrMommyy ... your post is very hard to read. Yellow is not a good color to use.

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• SuperrMommy wrote I don't understand it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I like that quote. Yes it can be a art craft- if you chose to make it one. If you are a "by the book/ out of the book" type of person then it would be someone elses art craft and you would just be borrowing it.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2011