What should I do?!

Hey ladies,
Ok well, every since my son was born (he's 18 months now) I've been going to my parents house on saturdays so they can see him and hang out. Once it's nap time it's a battle to get him to sleep. My parents house is a lot bigger then ours, and he's always so busy when we're there. If I cant get him to nap my dad will jump in and take over. Once he's able to get him to sleep..he sleeps for about an hour and a half. (When I put him down for nap at our house he'll sleep for 2 and a half hours or even 3.) Then if I decided to stay over at my parents house, or if they watch him for the night he's up until like 10pm or 11pm and then hes up in the morning at like 7am. Im a SAHM and so it's just us 2 all day, and then once we go to my parents..he has my mom, dad, and sister to hang out with. So I was wondering if anybody had any ideas/suggestions that we could try? Thanks a bunch!

happy2beme09

Asked by happy2beme09 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I run into this problem, too, when we go back to our hometown at least once a month to visit and DD always gets thrown off schedule- and I am a schedule Mama, believe me. I try my best to keep one sleep time consistent with her normal routine, so if we are out during the day and her nap gets thrown off then I really try to keep bedtime at it's normal hour. If she has a normal nap then I feel ok letting her stay up later than usual. It usually takes one day to get her back on track once we're home. Part of me says it isn't worth it to get so hung up on the schedule that she misses fun times with her grandparents or cousins, but I also don't want to deal with the consequences of having a tired and crabby 2 year old all day either. I say if the nap isn't long enough then insist on an earlier bed time. And maybe try napping him a little early, he may be getting over tired and over stimulated and not wanting to go down. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try to keep the same schedule as you do at your house and dothe same at your parents house and just tell them you have him on a schedule
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd say hard as it may be, STOP the visits until YOU can get him on a schedule. Have lunch and tell him its nap time soon and put him down, pat him on the back some and say you'll be back and leave. He'll cry but YOU have to ignore it. The next week or so do the same and each day he sould cry less. Then you have to either keep him on the schedule at your parents or visit after nap time. Same with bedtime, he needs a routine, and your letting him get over tired and then he can't sleep. Great the Gr-parents want to see him, but he needs his routine. YOUR the Mom so you have to take control and get him on the routine and then you'll most likely having a napping baby and a baby going to bed at night. I have 7 Gr-kds and I don't ever expect my DD to have run around, crying, off their schedule, sleepy kids, for me, your parents will survive and should/could visit at other times.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll try them all! I do have him on a pretty good schedule here and I try at my parents house. But I'll try harder! Thanks again! =0)
    happy2beme09

Comment by happy2beme09 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011