Sleeping Aids during pregnancy

Just curious how many of you used sleeping aids during pregnancy and how often? I am having a crummy time sleeping and my Dr. says I can use a tylenol PM sometimes but not often. This doesn't help! Any advice would be great.

MamaSPScott

Asked by MamaSPScott at 2:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i did use tylenol pm and it did work...take it 2 hours before you want to sleep
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• benadryl works too
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I would ask the doctor exactly how often u can use it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have been told that it is ok to use it but beat if you only use it a couple times a week not every night
    rebecca10

Answer by rebecca10 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Tylenol pm is just tylenol with benadryl. If you don't need the tylenol then just use benadryl. It does work for a great majority of people.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I was told by my OB to take Unisom and B12 for my nausea - so I'm guessing Unisom is okay.

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I took tylenol pm and it worked alright. When I went in for my induction with the last baby they gave me Ambien to sleep the night before.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i never took anything but when i went to the hosptial to be induced they gave me ambien cr and i couldnt sleep had hallucinations and was just talking crazy. I suggest not taking anything your body reacts different when u are pregnant i think benadryl would be fine just take as much as u would a child
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 3:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think benedryl is fine if you don't overdo it. Also like PP said try Unisom.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Please try to avoid medications that are optional during your pregnancy if at all possible.

My suggestion is to try warm milk and a nice long soak in the tub just before bedtime. While a lot of people don't like the idea of warm milk, (I used to gag at the idea until I tried it), it can be very soporific. Even better is if you can get your SO to give you a relaxing foot rub while you are lying in bed, after your bath and milk. :)

Good luck!

Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011