Any tips on how to train my 19 month old toddler to take regular naps around same time everyday, w/out having to drive around or give her milk?

How do they do it in daycare's?

ZoeLife1

Asked by ZoeLife1 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you give her a cup of milk and then lay her down? Or are you saying she still wants a bottle to take to bed?

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• After lunch, because a ull tummy makes them sleepy, turn on some soft music,turn down the lights and have her lay down for quiet time.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• try getting her up earlier that way she ill be more tired at naptime and try to do this everydy and she ill get in the hbbit
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Having a routine.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I give the kids lunch then they lay down with a cup of water. Although being an in home daycare provider of the kids want milk or juice instead of water I let them have it. They also brush their teeth her.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 3:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• You just have to set a routine that's the same everyday. We have lunch everyday at noon. After lunch, he gets about 30 minutes of playtime. Then I say, "ok, you can watch one cartoon, and then you're going to take a nap." He watches one cartoon and then he goes to bed. Your routine might be different, but that's what we do. Maybe you sit her on your lap for 10 minutes and just be quiet during that time.

It won't be easy at first. She may whine, cry, fuss, etc. You just go in every few minutes, pat on the back, say "naptime" and lay her back down. Eventually she'll fall asleep. The next time will be a little easier, then the next time easier. The first day or two might be torture, just be consistent.

You also don't want to wait until she's overtired because then she might fight it and it makes it harder to go to sleep. Good luck!
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree keeping a routine seems to really work with my 20 month ds...we eat lunch around 1230-1 and my fiance leaves for work at 2 so after he leaves everyday ds goes down for his 3 hr nap!
    misssababe1128

Answer by misssababe1128 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Does she know how to put herself to sleep at other times, like at night? Or do you have to help her fall asleep? If she knows how to self-soothe at night, then you can expect the same during the day. Give her a busy morning, give her lunch, do a mini version of your night-time routine and then put her down in her crib and walk away. I've been told that kids sleep well in daycare because they are TIRED!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I agree w/sherripie : they need the same routine every day. I use to feed mine lunch and then soon after they knew it was nap time, sometimes you have to tell them nap time soon. Lay her down and pat her back and tell her it's nap time and you'll be back. She will cry and it may take a day or two, but it will work. I never had a problem with my kids and I had 3 who always went down after lunch, maybe fussed some, but went to sleep. If they cried, they cried, that's normal, would you want to go to bed when you can play. Make yourself busy and forget about the crying, and the next thing you know, she'll be asleep.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone! Been told not to put her to sleep having to depend on milk an dthat daycare centers don't allow babies to rely on bottles. They get their blankets out and say "nap time" and they all know they have to splee. So that's what I'm trying to accomplish. Right now I'm doing a "mini-routine" of her nighttime routine which we have no problems on. It's good to know it should only take a few days or so to establish a nap routine and she will get it eventually. Thanks again!
    ZoeLife1

Comment by ZoeLife1 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011