Can you choose how you deliever?

I have severe arthritis and I am really not wanting to give a vaginal birth. I want to do a C-Section, but I am worried to talk to my doctor about it because I do not know how she will react. I do not know the protocol for this. I am scared that my body will be in so much pain after giving a vaginal birth. Being that my arthritis is all on my hips, knees, ankles, and feet. Where as Ive had 11 surgeries in the past 11 years so I know how my body does with recovery. I just really want to have a C-section.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You'll never know your doctor's opinion until you ask. I would never voluntarily have a major surgery done, but then again I am not you. I don't have all your other issues. Talk to your doctor now and see what she says. If it's a definite no, then you can start looking for another.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• No, not all OBs will do an elective csection. You're worried about pain after a vaginal birth, but not after they cut you open? I've had 3 vaginal and 2 csections - the pain of a csection is a HE!! of a lot worse than after a vaginal, and I had a traumatic vaginal delivery.

Answer by missanc at 3:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My sis is L&D nurse and she says most dr. don't do C-Sec unless they have too. I would tell her about your situations and if she doesnt' want to do one I would look into to someone who might
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Yes, you can elect to have a c-section(unfortunately) whether it's life or death or not. I've had both a c-section and a completely drug free vaginal birth and I'm telling you what I would want to know if I were you:skip the c-section. They are never less painful. There are no pains from a vaginal birth once the baby is out other than cramping of the uterus, but that's going to happen with a c-section too as the uterus tries to shrink to its normal size. The only other pain you may have after a vaginal birth is if you tear, but it will only be painful at the actual site. Our bodies are made to give birth vaginally. A c-section is beyond words of pain. It hurts to sneeze, laugh, cough, sit up in bed....you can't drive, climb stairs, lift anything heavier than the baby, bend over....the list goes on and on. C-sections hurt for weeks or months. A vaginal birth pain is done once they say"It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!".

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• you absolutely can have an elective c section. it's your birth and no one can tell you that you can't
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I've never heard of c-sections being elective. I've only heard they are only dont when necessary
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• she didn't ask to be talked into a vaginal delivery. ask the hospital you will deliver at. i know mine will give you a c section if you want one
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Talk to your Dr. You can request whatever type of birth you want but your Dr. does not have to agree to do it. If you are adamant you need to talk to her now so you can change Drs if she refuses.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am worried bc of the pressure that I will have to be putting on my legs..I know I will have an epideral but after it wears off I know my body will be in so much pain. When I do to much walking or sitting or movements on my legs, they hurt so bad. so having to put that much pressure on my legs is what worries me.
    annabelle092810

Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• best to talk with your Dr.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2011