ObamaCare: DR's polled... Thoughts?

Thomson Reuters researchers and physician services company HCPlexus surveyed 2,958 doctors of varying specialties from 50 states plus Washington, D.C. via fax.

The survey found that 65 percent of the doctors predict healthcare quality will decline over the next five years, 18 percent say it will improve and 17 percent believe it will remain the same.

Most — 74 percent — believe the changes will make their reimbursement less fair, according to the survey, available here.

When asked where most of these newly insured people would get care, 55 percent of the doctors said a nurse practitioner or physician assistant would provide care.

As for patients, 57 percent of doctors predicted the impact of the changes will be negative, 27 percent said they would be positive and 15 percent forecast a neutral effect.

"The National Physicians Survey tells us that physicians have not been enlisted in the healthcare reform process," said David Shrier, chief executive officer of HCPlexus.

"The message they've taken from healthcare reform appears to be 'Do more with less.' Doctors are telling us they feel disenfranchised and overburdened," Shrier added in a statement.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• How does the healthcare reform bill impact doctors? (I'm asking a real question, not being snarky).

It seems to me like it impacts health insurance companies & individuals...but i am not sure what Dr's would be getting all upset about or why it would impact thier ability to continue to provide high quality care.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• UpSheRises, the way I understand it, instead of the insurance co's telling you what treatments you will be permitted to receive, it will be the Govt. The Govt. already has a track record of paying waaaay less for care than insurance co's. So many Dr's refuse to take Medicaid b/c the Govt. will only pay for a small % of the care costs. The Dr's are forced to eat the rest of the costs. Then look at the lack of quality of care our poor veterans and elderly receive while in Govt. heathcare... It's disturbing. Doctors are predicting that if the rest of America get on the Govt. care, Obamacare, then the issues with cost and poor quality care will affect everyone. The Dr's will not be able to afford to see patients on Govt. care and the less experienced healthcare workers will have to see the patients. I saw a panel of Dr's speak on the issues a little while back, and this was what they said in a nutshell.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Government entitlement plans pay doctors 20% to 30% less than private plans. Even though the government option is meant for the uninsured, some employers have said dropping private options will make it cheaper for their benefits contributions~ this will move employees/retirees into the government plan. So add more people with LESS payout. If the business is fortunate to receive a waiver, they are no longer 'contributing' to the revenue projections of ObamaCare, btw.   ObamaCare requires Dr's to be responsible for expenses like electronic prescribing tools and computerized health records... These mandates add cost. ObamaCare also places an additional burden of compliance costs onto by encumbering them with rules of even MORE paperwork. 60% of doctors who are self-employed are projected to be hit the hardest. Next time you go to your Dr, ask them.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• When asked where most of these newly insured people would get care, 55 percent of the doctors said a nurse practitioner or physician assistant would provide care.

I would like to know how that changed from 5 years ago. In PA we were already having some shortages due to INSURANCE PREMIUMS doctors had to pay and some were bitching then about unfair payments. When my kids were on CHIP while I was unemployed, they were denied nothing, now that we have them on private insurance again, we had to switch their dentist because they didn't accept our PRIVATE Inusrance...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• But government entitlement plans are only available for those who qualify...Obamacare doesn't change eligibility requirements, does it?

My Dr. won't be helpful, he's part of a hospital system but my aunt is a plastic surgeon and leans toward the right...i'll ask her. I love my Dr. and i'd hate to support something that would interfere with his ability to treat me.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Add this poll to the Physicians Foundation survey from November, 56%of doctors said the new law will diminish the quality of care they can provide to patients.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Coincidence that the same time of the height of ObamaCare, the Mayo Clinic announced they are no longer accepting Medicare and Medicaid patients?  Or that physicians are severing ties with the federal Medicare program after ObamaCARE passed(example)?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• can you afford the new Obama care?as i understand it ,it will cost you 2 000.00 to start or you pay the 1st 2000.00 to start it.Then if you do not pay your co-pay,they will take it out of your checking account.How many business's will be able to afford paying 2000.00 per employee to start? Fines can be up to 3500.00 for not signing on .I think i don't have all the info i need but from what i have herd its not going to be good.Have a friend in Canada,her mother could not get her medicines refilled for 3 months..so she brought her to the states,got her medicines and flew back to Canada.so much for their health system.I only hope that if this does come in that they will re-evaluate everybody on medicaid now.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• it will be the Govt.

LOL! No it won't....hahahaha!
    Anonymous

• The gentleman who lives across the street from us is a doctor. He is very concerned. Several dr. friends at church are talking about retiring. That tells me all I need to know.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011