Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

idk what to do

the doctor did an ultrasound today and told me that my baby girl had fluids in her kidneys and extra skin on the back of her neck she told me that these are signs of down syndrome im not going to give her up or abort her but they might want me to do an amentsis but i go to my regular doctor on friday should i wait to see what he says to do

Answer Question
 
devlynsmommy08

Asked by devlynsmommy08 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 11 (597 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • It won't hurt to hear what he thinks!
    1911

    Answer by 1911 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Friday isn't a very long wait so yes I would see what your doctor recommends. He may just suggest what you were told after the ultrasound. Good Luck,
    mommy_of_two388

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • yea go to your apt and see what your dr wants to do.
    youngmami07

    Answer by youngmami07 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I would always wait to see my regular doctor before jumping to conclusions.
    Chloesmom1126

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • All an amnio will do is likely confirm their suspicions. If you'll carry her to term no matter what, is the amnio really something you want to do?

    My daughter is now 4 1/2 and was "suppose to be born" with DS. She was not. Those neck fold/measurement things are a cause for concern, imo
    hibbingmom

    Answer by hibbingmom at 3:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Talk to your regular doctor and see what he/she thinks. If you know that this baby is not going to be aborted no matter what, I'd refuse the amniocentesis testing as it carries quite a few risks. Also i've heard the results are fairly inaccurate.
    2autisticsmom

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • If you are not planning on aborting then I would NOT do the amnio. There is a risk of miscarriage from doing the amnio and all it will do is confirm the suspicion. They will already have specialists informed if something like heart problems etc are involved (often are with DS) having the amnio will not affect that. There is also about a 35% chance (varies with age too) that they are completely wrong. How would you feel if you let them do the amnio and miscarried only to find out that the baby was fine?
    aeneva

    Answer by aeneva at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • wait and see what your regular doctor says. good luck!
    shanapiv

    Answer by shanapiv at 5:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • Will the results of the amnio have any effect on your decision either way? If it were me, I think I would just wait and see.
    christyg

    Answer by christyg at 5:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

  • I would wait to see what my regular doctor had to say about the results.
    Branwen70

    Answer by Branwen70 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN