Does anyone on here NOT celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah?

My husband's religion (YES, it is a Christian religion) does not do Christmas or Hanukkah. And it seems that no matter what group I join that is religious in nature the members celebrate either one or the other not really understanding why Christmas is not really a Christian holiday. So, I'm curious, is ANYONE here the same way? I'm not really sure how Hanukkah fits in but we don't celebrate that one either.

simplyjaneen

Asked by simplyjaneen at 3:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We don't celebrate. I'm an atheist, and my SO never was a christmas-y person. Nothing to do with religion, obviously, but you aren't alone.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 3:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Christmas was originally a pagan holiday that was changed to a Christian holiday to celebrate Christ's birth.. I know JW's don't celebrate... however Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday.
    Anonymous

• we celebrate it has jesus birth but we also do santa with our 2 yr old for now but we will tell her eventually we dont want it to ruin the true meaning
    mom2hannah30

Answer by mom2hannah30 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A friend of mine feels the same way. They don't celebrate Christmas, although they do give little presents to each other and talk about the birth of Jesus and how it was a miracle. But no trees, no santa, etc.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 5:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We did celebrate Christmas cuz we were usually with christian relatives.

This year we will celebrate Yule and no longer celebrate christmas.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We're not JW though we do get that question A LOT. My husband is what is called a Sabbath Keeper but not Seventh Day Adventist either. The church we have most associated with is the United Church of God which is a split off of the Worldwide Church of God.
    simplyjaneen

Answer by simplyjaneen at 7:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We don't celebrate the holiday. We are Christians. Anyone can look up where and how the celebration of Christmas came about. Just go to your library or read an encyclopedia.
    Anonymous

• We keep the Sabbath and we are what you can call Torah observant. We don't do Christmas or at this point Chanukah either. We are looking into Chanukah from a biblical stand but are completely against replacing Christmas and just giving it another name but doing basically the same things.
    luvbeinmomma

Answer by luvbeinmomma at 8:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We are Muslim so we dont celebrate either!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, we are working out all the kinks... I am pagan, my husband is christian... So we are combining the two. We are putting up a small tree (fake cause i'm allergic to pine) and decorating with neutral decorations... No santa, no raindeer, and very few gifts. To us it's really just about family and celabrating the last year we've had together as well as the fact that we get to have another!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008