Can children really get homesick?

we went to our cabin in the mtns. over the weekend and my 4 year old son w uld cry and say that he wanted to go home. 2 out of 4 of these nights he would all the sudden get sick and then be fine the rest of the evening. Not sure if it was something the change of schedule or if it might have been something he ate or just a strange coincidence. He has always had a weak stomach and gets carsick alot of the time, but both times he got sick we were at the cabin and he fine 1 minute and sick the next.

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• homesick doesn't mean they actually get sick,it means they get sad when they're away from home. Heartsick,if you will

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Possibly! He probably wants to be in his on bed with the things he is familiar with
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My oldest would get homesick around that age. All of a sudden he would start telling us that he wanted to go home while we were on what we thought to be great vacations. He never got physically ill from it, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My dd will get bad tummy aches when she goes to her dads house, the doctor says it is the stress from being away from me and being in such a different environment, though of course, she still has to go over there
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My youngest would get homesick, once we allowed him to go with friends to Canadian and he definitely missed me. When he came home he slept in my bed for a week (he was 9). However he never got physically ill. However I would think that it wouldn't be uncommon for the stress to cause your child to have stomach aches or to feel as though his physically ill.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I do believe that he might have gotten sick because he missed his family and his surroundings. He has mentioned several times since we have been home that he wants to have a party so he can see his mawmaw, mimi aunts and etc. Poor little guy just wants to see his family.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2011