What's a good age to take your child bowling??

I'm wondering what is a good age to take your child bowling for the first time? My son is 4 and I would like to take him bowling. He has a plastic bowling set which he really likes and has alot of fun with, so I thought it may be a good and fun idea to take him bowling.

Are there special bowling balls they have for kids at the bowling alleys? What about bowling shoes, do they have them for toddlers?

Any advice ladies? Thanks a bunch!!

Hickette71

Asked by Hickette71 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• both of my kids love to bowl and started going around 2. Some of them have shoes but if not they either let you go in your socks or tennis shoes..they have balls that weigh as little as 5 and 6lbs and you can get bumpers put in the gutters for the kids so the ball makes it to the pins and a few of the bowling alleys that we have been to have a ramp that you sit the ball on and the kids push it down so it has more momentum to get down the lane and doesnt get stuck halfway down.

this is the "ramp" from my daughters birthday party

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• my son was 22mos his 1st time and it was crazy fun. You might have to call around to find a place w/ shoes small enough. There's ramps for kids THAT little... and then rolling the ball when they're a little older/bigger
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My son went for the first time in kindergarten. They did have special (6 lb, i think?) balls for them, and special lanes set up with bumpers. The shoes fit him, but I'm not sure how small they come - call your local bowling alley. Ask if you need to make a reservation to have the bumpers put in the lanes.

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He will have a great time. Sneakers will most likely be fine. Just ask. They put bumpers up, so no more gutter balls. You might have to help him with the ball, but it will be great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Mine were 4 and 2 when we took them the first time. We asked for the foam in the gutters and the kids had a blast. They needed a little help, but they loved it and we go fairly often now and they are 5 and 3.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Our son is 3 1/2 and loves going bowling. We used a ramp a couple of times but the last time he just rolled/tossed the ball all by himself. With gutter guards, the ball typically made it to the pins. Admittedly, we had to get someone to retrieve it a couple of times too but they didn't seem to mind (we try to go when they aren't too busy). Where we went he could bowl in his sneakers. We went another plan when visiting in Maryland and there they had shoes for him as well as a ramp shaped like a dragon. He loved that! Call around to the bowling alleys near you and see what they have/require. Note: The place closest to us has a ramp but it's only for the handicapped so make sure to ask your questions carefully.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My DD was four but there was no ramp so it got stuck on the lane a couple times. We all had a blast but im sure the people working at the desk didnt since they had to keep coming to rescue the ball.
    emilyellensmom

Answer by emilyellensmom at 1:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011