How do I get my 3 1/2 month old to sleep in his crib??

During the day he takes naps in his swing & at night he sleeps with me. I know this is a very bad habbit & I was just wondering on how I can get him to sleep in his crib for naps & night time sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions.

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 3:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had to sleep on her swing for all her naps at that age. And for sleeping at night, thank God she was a sound sleeper, I had to put her in her swing and then transfer her.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Put him to sleep and lay him in there. No guarantee he will *stay* asleep, but that would be the way to do it.

Sleeping with him isn't a bad habit. It actually has many health benefits for the pair of you! If you want to continue to cosleep, go for it. He'll sleep in his own bed when he's ready to.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I started by using the crib for naps. First just the morning nap, then both naps. After he seemed ok with that I tried at night.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• use something that has your scent such as a small blanket so he feels you are right there, considering he's close to sleeping right beside you.
    larrieshayamini

Answer by larrieshayamini at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• everyone just tells me if i let him sleep with me, he will never want to sleep in his own bed.
    CassieM2B

Comment by CassieM2B (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• If you're fine sleeping with her then ignore what people say, but know that once you start it may be hard to stop in 6-8 months when you might be ready for your bed back to yourself. I always tucked a silkie blanket in with all 5 of my kids that I wore under my shirt during the day so it had my scent, and they had a sound and motion activated heartbeat bear that mimicked the sound in utero (but a white noise machine would work too). I laid them down awake, but very drowsy. Sometimes they would fuss (not scream) for a minute or two, but then would go right to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• its ok to let him sleep with you. but if you want him to sleep in his own bed id suggest putting maybe a tshirt or something that smells like u near him that way he feels you are close and therefore feels safe.
    larrieshayamini

Answer by larrieshayamini at 3:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Never is a very long time. Do you really think he'll not want to head off to college because he needs to sleep with you? No, of course not, that's just silly... They do eventually grow up and grow out of things like co-sleeping. You can encourage sleeping alone at any time, but all kids will grow out of it and want their own bed if you give them enough time.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Honestly babies are better of sleeping with you
    Yesebeth

Answer by Yesebeth at 5:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Do you honestly not want your baby to sleep with you because you believe that is the best thing for him or are you wanting to do it just because you feel like you're being bullied into the decision?

At one time or another each of my 6 children slept in my bed. It was easier on me (as I breastfed them) and easier on them because they did not have to be away from Mommy. Do what you feel is best for your baby and yourself. If you really believe that sleeping in the crib is the best thing for him, try swaddling him nice and tightly and placing something that smells of you (like a soft shirt) in the crib with him. Sometimes babies don't like to sleep on their back, so maybe try a sleep positioner and put him down on his side.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. :)
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011