Do DHS workers do this in your town????

Before you donate or pick one of those foster kids lists off a tree to purchase Christmas gifts for foster kids,find out how they distribute them!!Our local DHS office here got caught returning the gifts for store credit in which they used for themselves!Local Tv station tried to investigate only to have the police go on camera to state no crime had taken place. We are not talking a few gifts,all the gifts are un-wrapped,sorted and they(DHS) decide if the child gets what was purchased for them or they return!!!!It has caused a major problem in that will nobody buy for these kids anymore??How long has this been going on?One lady here used a credit card to purchase for 10 kids,only to find all the stuff she had bought had been returned for store credit,and used to buy personal things for the DHS worker!!!

grismelda

Asked by grismelda at 3:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am beyond appalled by this,and strongly feel something should be done!!
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• That really sucks, but I am not surprised, honestly
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• DHS in every state is crooked IMO.
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 3:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Post a link...I don't believe it.

How would that lady know what was purchased after the items were returned?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• She used a credit card,and all the merchandise was listed,because she had those reciepts,she called the store and had them check the items all were returned for store credit.The dhs worker had to sign for the store credit!
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• The Community Action Agency that I know of has done something similiar. Wherever there are people there are A-HOLES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

•  

She used a credit card,and all the merchandise was listed,because she had those reciepts,she called the store and had them check the items all were returned for store credit.The dhs worker had to sign for the store credit!

She should take her evidence and fo to them...supervisors and the local NEWS

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• So sad. I'm sure there are folks out there who take advantage of less fortunate people. I volunteered at a hospital for at-risk kids back when I was in college. I made Easter candy baskets for the kids in the program. They had levels, and if they were not on a specific level, they weren't allowed privileges. Well, the kids who weren't on level didn't get their baskets, nor did the staff put them away for the future when the kids got on level, but the staff ATE THE CANDY right in front of the kids and MEEE! I was appalled!  Mean mean mean!  Those people are out there and work in all parts of our community.  I wouldn't accuse all of DHS, and I've been in SW for a long time, but DHS one messed up program, even w/o these kinds of reports.  Its a crazy job, low pay, dangerous, and people get burnt out super fast.   

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• It was a return for over 500.00!And the store told she(DHS) had purchased furniture with it.Since the first purchase was on a credit card,a listing of the merchandise redeemed with the store credit was issued to the owner of the credit card.
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• This is why I only donate to my community college. They collect things for like 3 months, then around Christmas families come up and pick up big bags of things or boxes for their family. Nothing is wrapped and if you volunteer to help distribute and stuff, you can see that only more things have come in, and none have left. I don't trust any other collection thing around here because people have been caught doing just that, or taking the really good things home to their own kids, etc. It's made the papers before and I think a few people ended up in jail last year because of it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2011