For those who get government assistance..............................

I am separated from my husband who was paying my bills but has been laid off and can't right now. I want to get a job but I have heard that they will take a dollar from my assistance for every dollar that I earn....................is this true? How much am I allowed to earn befor they start take my benefits away? (I have 3 children) If I work I will have to pay for gas and clothes and possibly some child care. I may be able to get a job but it will probably only pay about minimum wage. Is it worth it for me to look for a job? Also I have Cancer and I'm afraid I may lose my Medicaid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• The assistance limits are bracketed income levels. So like is you make between 1550-1750 you get this much, or whatever. It is based on your family size and your income level. You do not lose a dollar for every dollar you make. If you still fall into the same limitations you can still qualify for assistance. Have you considered attempting to apply for disability due to your cancer if you are concerned about that being a problem with your work abilities?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Honestly try waitressing that way you do not claim everything that you make
    Anonymous

• with 3kids you probably still will qulify for help even if working a min wadge job. i had just one little boy and was working 30hrs a week at a min wadge job and was still able to collect food stamps, child care and some cash for 6months.
    Anonymous

• try working under the table like taking care of some ones kids in your home just take a couple in. or maybe taking care of a elderly person who needs help in there home many of them pay under the table.
    Anonymous

• The only way to know for sure what you'll qualify for is to apply.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 3:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Are you serious? You do to have to claim everything you earn while waitressing. You actually are supposed to claim 10% so if youd ont make 10%you still have to claim it...

Now to answer the question..
    With cancer are you able to work?
    And if so.. what are your limits? Can you lift 10lbs... 20lbs... 50 lbs....
    If so.. i would call your assistance, and ask them. They are the only ones who will truely know. Ive never heard taking a dollar away... that doesnt make sence to me... .
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am really sorry you are in this situation, but at least you are getting some help. Where I live I couldn't even see a counseler when we both lost our jobs. We didn't get any help at all. It's been really rough because I could say i was denied, I couldn't even get that far. My county is just soo full there isn't help available for everyone. Good luck girl.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It all depends on your state requirements. Go to you local Department of Children and Family Services (HRS) and ask for your requirements. The information is free, and you don't have to give any information you don't want too.
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008