HOW CAN EXPLAIN MY KIDS I CAN'T BUY THEM A TOY IN THE STORE

I HAVE TO SHOP FOR BASIC FOR THE HOUSE AND A HAVE TO TAKE MY KIDS WITH ME. THE START CRYING WHEN I DONT HAVE MONEY TO PLEASE THEM.

GlitteribonMom

Asked by GlitteribonMom at 3:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Shopping

• just tell them, not right now and avoid the toy aisle, if they show out, they get in trouble that's what i do with my dd
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Tell them in the car before you go into the store that you are going in for X number of items and they are NOT getting anything. That way there aren't any surprises. Stand your ground and don't give in, they will realize it doesn't work and stop after a couple of times.

Answer by missanc at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Wow, this was a lot easier for my mom when I was a kid. She used to say that if we couldn't behave, we would have to wait in the car. It was a lot safer then.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am (and always have been) very honest with my kids. I just say mommy doesn't have money for that right now. Why don't we put that on your wish list (for birthday or yule/christmas).
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• How old are they? It peeves me when I see a mom in the store trying to reason with a toddler about a toy. I would not offer an explanation; just get the point across that the answer is no. Let them cry, scream, all they want but don't give in.
    Anonymous

• flat out tell em I dont have the money for it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My mom always told us BEFORE we went in the store "I am only getting what I can afford so don't ask for anything" If we did anyway we got a good spanking when we got home. I use it on my kids too.
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 3:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• also if they throw a fir, make a promise to them that it will be the last toy store visit for a long time unless they cut the crap
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Tell them that you choose not to spend your money on those things. Depending on the age you can tell them more like then it will brake in a short time. Someone told me this a long time ago. Instead of saying we can't afford it, you are teaching them money responsibility. It has worked wonders for me and sometimes I will give them a treat when we get to the car (don't tell them until they have not thrown a fit) It's a little pat on the back for doing good.
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 3:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Here's an idea: Tell them you are not buying them a toy and that is the end of it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011