Why doesn't my 10 mo old consistently sleep through the night?

Hi everyone! My daughter is 10 mos. She has slept through the night here and there. She's never been the best sleeper, but these past 2-3 wks she's been waking at least twice a night SCREAMING and standing in her crib. I should clarify now that my husband and I are not supporters of the "cry it out" method for our family.
I go in, I even try to just lay her back down and NOT pick her up, but she keeps sitting up and SCREAMING! When I rock her/hold her, she immediately stops. I'm just wondering why this has been worse these past couple weeks. There are a few things I've come up with, but want other ideas if anyone has them!

1. She's off bottles (only has been for a couple days- she took really well to sippies, we did not force this)

2. Teething.
3 separation anxiety.
4. Growth spurt.

Thank you in advance for any other suggestions on what might be going on here! :) I appreciate it!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 10 months - does she know how to sit back down after she stand up? My kids used to stand up and then cry because they didn't know how to get down. During the day, teach her how to sit herself down.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Some babies just need to have the comfort of mom. Or they are not night sleepers. My dd wasn't sleeping through the night until she was a year or a bit older. Where as my son had no issues sleeping through the night. It can be frustrating I know.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Because she's a 10 month old.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 3:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'd guess it's number 3. That was my first thought. She wakes up, you're not there, she gets scared and starts screaming.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Why doesn't she sleep simply because she is ONLY 10 months old. As to why she is screaming like that it could be many different things and all those you listed plus possibly not knowing how to sit back down or just wanting her mother nearby. None of them are bad things and are not anything that she needs to be "broken" of. I know it is tiring, but just keep doing what you are doing or possibly move her to your room (in her crib if you like).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Thank you to those of you who left helpful comments/suggestions. She does know how to sit back down, but that was a really good point. I am NOT trying to break her of anything, just trying to figure out how to help my baby. And those of you who said it's because she's 10 mos old, well I know tons of people who have kids that sleep through the night at 2-3mos. I'm not complaining, just saying. Thank you again for your help.
    TP1283

Comment by TP1283 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Just because some babies sleep through the night doesn't mean they all should. Not all adults sleep well at night, it's just whatever works for different people. My oldest slept through the night at a month old, my youngest slept through the night at 11 months old. Just depends on the person.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 4:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Our oldest we could pull around by his pant leg, our daughter would sleep through a marching band, then their is our last!!!! he was,is and probably always be a light sleeper. He is 17 and if I open his door he pops right up!  All are different like us. I think you are awesome to try to help her. You sound like a great mommy. I remember the same feeling when our boy would behave the same.

toddler tantrum

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 7:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Babies sleep through the night when they are ready to, not when you are ready for them to.

This is why I loved co-sleeping. I could doze/sleep while my daughter nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011