Mothers and their children growing up?

My son, my one and only so far, is almost 2. He is the light of my life and I have to wonder if im ok in the head with the way I worry about him and stuff. I know, kids are going to grow up and im so blessed to have a healthy child in my life growing and functioning at a healthy rate. But I think im starting to have seperation anixety already. (I know, i know, i should just grow up already and get over it). But I find myself sometimes wishing for those days where he slept in bed with us so I could feel his little hand on my face, or his little foot in my back lol, i used to watch him sleep all the time. I chase him around wanting him to play with me, play ball, read together, but since my two nephews are with us right now, im not cool. He barely wants to give me kisses anymore! He is only TWO darn it! I thought this happened at like...16? How did some of you guys cope with your little ones growing up? Am I abnormal to feel this attached to my baby? Am I going to be one of those mothers on lifetime you watch who like stalk their sons or daughters lives? I hope not, im trying to teach myself everyday, back off, let him experience life, let him play, dont hover, dont hover, dont hover. But that doesnt mean I cant dream huh? I can dream that he sits in my lap and reads with me like before...sigh..im just not ready to handle this kind of seperation yet. Please dont make fun of me, its my first baby, im trying not to be wacky.

Bobbysgurl

Asked by Bobbysgurl at 3:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son goes through different phases. Sometimes I'm the coolest thing in his life other times he doesn't want/need me. He's 4 now almost 5 and is very independent, but even just now as I was typing this he climbed up on the couch, gave me a big kiss and hug and said I was his best friend. And now he's back in the basement playing with his toys, where he's been all morning/afternoon. He rarely wants to play with me anymore because I don't play his games correctly, but when he's sad, or feeling just the slightest bit off, or tired, or just needs attention for whatever reason mom is always where he ends up, and your son will be the same way. Playing with cousins is much cooler then playing with mom, even at 2, but he still needs you more then anyone else, and you're still gonna be the light of his life for many years. He's just exerting his independence, and it should be enjoyed while it lasts!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i have a 5 yr old, and i was young when i had him, so being young and stupid the bonding time was never there, as my mother hovered and took over. anyways, i realized that in one minutes he was laying in bed beside me, snoring, being all little, and cute....and the next minute he is 5, and could care less if i look twice at him.
    i now have a 7 week old daughter, and it saddens me that 7 weeks has gone by so quickly! so being a sahm i now have the time to sit and play and just look at her. and the pictures! oh god the pictures of the two of them. i am trying to make up the time with my son, and i will not loose this time with my daughter, but it will come. soon, very soon, when she walks her first steps away from me, and her first play date, and then her first date, and so on.....
    so yes, i feel you. i understand COMPLETLY!!!!
    take your son somewhere, just you and him, park, another room, somewhere and just play and luv him!!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My kids are 12, 6, 2, and 6 m/o's. It's hard to know when to let go, and to actually let go when you realize you need to. At this point I've got one kid wanting to go to the mall and hang out w/ her friends, one who only wants me around when he has no one else to play with, one spends his days figuring out what to get into next, instead of sitting on my lap, and one who wants my attention 24/7 when she's awake. lol. No matter what though, you are mom, and them growing up, and separating from us, even at 2 y/o, makes the times that they do "need" us, that much more special. I remember being really young and being at a store holding my dad's hand, and him saying, "Soon you won't even want to be seen with me in public, let alone hold my hand" to which I replied, "that will never happen dad". Of course it did, but now that I'm older I appreciate things they did so much more. My advice? Don't dwell on what was, enjoy what is.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• My kids are 8, 6, and 4. Yes, sometimes I do miss the baby days, and sometimes I really wonder where the days went. But I think, in general, that we miss out on life by living in the past or focusing only on the future. The present moment is the only thing we truly have. If you keep dreaming about those baby days that have gone by, you may miss something wonderful that your son is doing right now!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2011